F250 running on 7 not 8

Recently purchased a 1987 F250 with 351, auto. Has a 8' western Plow that was just recently serviced by Western. Truck is a Custom, no frills The previous owner mentioned that the engine is strong (only

107K as per carfax), it needed exhaust work, and the transmission takes a second or two to shift from park to drive, after the initial delay all is OK. Also had new tires and brakes.

I drove this truck from DC (where I purchased it) to Roscoe NY (about

6 hours) with the plow in the truck bed no problems(other than many stops at gas stations!)

I went to a local gas station in Roscoe for a NY State Inspection and a once over (first time at this station, new to the area) and I am told to sell the truck. Told it has major problems. 1 cylinder is dead and the transmission has a blown seal! Will take approximately

1500-2000. to repair both.

What can I do to check this myself(compression test)? And what would be the cost of the repairs if they are correct?

Please advise.

Reply to
Anthony DeGregorio