fan not working

Two of the 4 settings on the interior fan switch have stopped working. The other two settings work fine. Anyone had a similar problem and has anyone replaced the fan or the switch?

Reply to
respk

It probably would help if I included that it is a 2001 Supercrew with the 5.4.

respk wrote:

Reply to
respk

On Tue, 16 May 2006 01:34:35 +0000, respk rearranged some electrons to form:

It's probably a bad blower resistor. Which two settings don't work?

Reply to
David M

The lowest two settings. The highest two settings work just fine.

Reply to
respk

Ford uses resistors in the fan ground circuit to obtain the different fan speeds. A direct ground to the fan results in High speed. As you select different fan speeds using the fan switch, the ground resistance increases as you go lower on the speeds. Replace the resistor pack.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

that did it. $20 and 15 minutes later the fan was working again.

Thanks for the help.

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
respk

U R welcome. Glad to have helped.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Hello,

I am new to the newsgroup and I have a few questions to ask.

Here is one problem I cannot figure out maybe someone here can help. I have a 1996 Ford Explorer Sport. I was having problems with the heater cutting in and out while I was in Iceland and then it went out completely right before I left. Once I returned from Iceland to the states I changed the Resister below the Fan Motor with a new one and it seemed to fix it for a while. Then it went back to cutting on and off. Sometimes when you hit a speed bump the fan would kick in and other times I would let the hood close hard and that would bring it back to life. Now Its dead again and nothing I do will bring the system back online. I checked all the fuses and even cleaned them with a wire brush. I unplugged everything and checked for problems or corrosion. Now I checked the connections with a test light at each plug and it seems like I am not getting power from the switch inside the car and at the fan motor and resister. What would cause no power to reach the connection? I pulled the resister again to make sure it was still intact and it still looks new no breaks or problems. Any Ideas? Thanks for the help.

I also bought a 2006 Ford 250 Super Duty Truck does anyone know where the factory alarm hides out inside the vehicle. I use my remote to lock the doors and hit it a second time and I get a chirp out of the horn. I went to test it out like I did with my Explorer set it with the window down and waited a few seconds and opened the door from the inside and no alarm went off. I asked the mechanic at the ford dealer what was wrong with it and he said that there was no alarm installed. He said you can see it by the break if it was there. He did not even look under the dash but from out side the door. I bought the car second hand with very low miles so I cannot complain. But who in the hell would be dumb enough to but a brand new vehicle with out a factory alarm installed in it/ When I bought it the used car side of the ford dealer said it had one. But of course when you lock the vehicle it does chirp and the panic option works fine so I could see where it could be confusing. If I get an answer back on the location of the alarm for verification and it is not present does anyone know where I can find a remote start/Alarm for a Diesel at a reasonable price/ I will install it myself I just want to get something that's reasonable and works good or better than what I have now. LOL

Also Which battery is the 12 volt side for adding accessories to the truck so I am not burning things up? I realize they are both 12 volts and make up the 24 volt system but which side is the safe side for accessories. This is my first Diesel engine in a truck and I have a lot to learn.

Thanks again for the help ahead of time.

Reply to
Krusty

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 00:53:47 -0600, "Krusty" snipped-for-privacy@satx.rr.com>

Anybody who doesn't live in a city.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Nobody pays any attention to a car alarm going off anymore. It happens to often for no reason.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning
00:53:47 -0600, "Krusty" snipped-for-privacy@satx.rr.com>

Good point. LOL Thanks for the encouragement I guess I will have to move away from the San Antonio area then.

Reply to
Krusty

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 00:53:47 -0600, Krusty rearranged some electrons to form:

That doesn't mean it has an alarm system, that's just the keyless entry.

A lot of people, since most cars don't have a 'factory alarm'. Maybe you should move to a better neighborhood.

Only people that didn't know the difference would be confused.

Reply to
David M

Thanks for the good tips of wisdom. LOL I guess I will buy an alarm/Remote start system and install it like I did in my Explorer. That one I used the factory alarm with the remote start. I just have to find one that is fairly reasonable in price and works with a diesel.

Reply to
Krusty