Ford Excursion info, please.

Hi Folks,

We're considering one of these as a tow vehicle for the boat in the link below. We'll be buying used, and it should be 4 wheel drive as well.

What are/were my engine choices from when they were first introduced. (I got a sales flyer from my local dealer for the 2004, so I know what's available now.) When was the Powerstroke first available? Is the Triton V10 really as big a gas hog as I'm hearing?

Were there any major changes to these since their introduction in 99? What kinds of things should I be looking for, or looking out for?

I'd also be interested in knowing how tall a tire can be put on this truck stock without major problems. (We may have to take it through some deep snow occasionally in the snow belt north of Syracuse, so taller is better, IMHO).

How does the Excursion compare to the Suburban as far as ease of lift kits? They have leaf springs front and back, right? Shouldn't be too bad to add a 4 to 6 inch lift, as long as final drive ratios are taken into account, and changed if need be. With a 4 - 6 inch lift, how much taller could I go with tires?

Anybody know who would sell a lift kit for this? Who's cheapest and/or best? Any good links to lifted Excursions?

Thanks everybody.

Donny

1974 Trojan Sea Raider 25'

Donny

I know the V-10 has been available since the beginning, and I suspect the Powerstroke too. Somebody was just talking about a 5.4L gas version being available which I didn't know. (Skip the V-8 gas. Power would be marginal without anything in tow.) Some call the V-10 a gas hog, but it depends what you are comparing it to. Compare it to any current big block offering and it is miserly. Compare it to a diesel and it is a bit thirsty. Driving nice with my V-10 F-250 (supercab 4x4) I typically see anywhere from 12 to 14 mpg. Towing a

2-place enclosed snowmobile trailer at 70 mph I get 11-12 mpg. If I drive long distance at 55-60 mph I can actually achieve 14.5-16 mpg. I've got the 4.3 rear gears which hurt highway mileage by 1-2 mpg at higher speeds. (This is compared to my dad's truck which is basically the same but running 3.73 gears.)

The V-10 did see a significan HP and torque increase (in 00 I believe). I haven't experience one of these engines and I have no complaints with the power of my 99. The 7.3L diesel was scrapped for the new 6.0L last year.

Stock is a LT265/75R and you can easily go to an LT285/75R on the stock wheels with no lift. I've heard of people going to LT315/75Rs with one of the 2.5" front leveling kits, but I think a LT305/75R is recommended. (These tires need wider wheels. The 315 is supposed to be equivelent to a 35" tire while the 305 is 33".)

The leaf spring design will make it easier and cheaper as you guessed. With the 4.3 gears, (and I'm only assuming they were available in Excursions too), you should be able to go up to about a 35" tire without losing much power. Guess it depends how heavy that boat is as to whether you would want to gear down. I'm guessing you could go to a 37" or 38" with 6" of lift. (If not, Bushwhacker offers cut-out fender flares for the trucks, and probably the Excursion too!)

Everybody has kits for the Super Duty and Excursions. Log on to the

4-wheel Parts Wholesalers website and get added to their mailing list for free magazines. They have a free monthly rag that is half magazine, half catalog and it showcases many different lift options.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

I have a F-250 Crew cab 4x4 V-10 3.73 Gears. I make a run to grandmas house twice a month 160 miles round trip running 70 mph and get 12.5 mpg.

I get around 10 mpg towing the fifth wheel and boat.

I will own an Excursion in a couple of years and it will be a 6.0L powerstroke. I love my truck but the power the 6.0L makes is amazing and it's half way quite, my boss has the same truck as mine and it gets 20 mpg empty and about 15 mpg tow a fifthwheel.

don't get the 5.4L the pull with. V-10 , 7.3 L powerstroke or 6.0L powerstroke you can't go wrong.

Jeff

Reply to
sparky

Thanks, Matt! Big help!