FORD RANGER 1898 2WD TEMP GAUGE QUESTION

The temperature gauge stays all the way to the left and doesen't move. this is the L-4 engine. Where exactly is the temp. sending unit on the engine, does anyone have a picture or Ford diagram of its location? Thanks again for your help. Also, is there any kind of service brakes electrical swithch under the hood? Thanks again in advance. I'm also posting on alt.ford

Reply to
septicman

IIRC, the temp sender screws in horizontally right next to the water outlet, in the front of the head. Kind of a pain to see and get to right next to the timing belt cover.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Thanks, sorry, it's a 1989 ! I am only concerned about any switches under the hood. There is a grey plug with a single wire, broken off, which is part of the engine wiring harness. I am trying to find out if it is for the temp sending unit as the temp gauge does not work and, if not, where it goes. Would you happen to have a page of the service manual showing the location of the temp sending unit you could email? This is for a 1989 Ranger L-4 2WD manual trans

Reply to
septicman

Is the plug that you think is broke, located at the front of the engine or back by the brake master cylinder? If its in the rear of the engine compartment by the brake system, then it wont have anything to do with that temp gauge.

Click on that link. It will take you to some electrical schematics. Figure out what color the wire is that is going into the connector that you are talking about and see if you can find it on the diagram. Also at this website, there are pics of the location as well. Here is a link to a pic of the location of the temp sender and oil pressure switch. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

That should put your mind at ease that its not the connector you are talking about.

Can you take any digital photos of the connector and location so that we can see where the connector is located and what it might possibly attach to?

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Thanks again, Ford Tech !!

The connector is about 1-2 inches inward (towards the engine, that is) and above the steering column universal joint. Hope this helps to give a better idea as to its location. I'll try to find a digital camera if all else fails !

Land O'Lakes Fred

Reply to
septicman

Thanks again, Ford Tech ! the connector is about 1-2 inches towards the engine and about 1-2 inches above the steering column universal joint and is grey in color---if all else fails I'll try to find a digital camera.

Reply to
septicman

Did this truck come equipped with cruise control or any other options? Cause Ford likes to use the same wiring harness for all vehicles, and just leave the connections for options that arent used just lyin around. I bet if you looked around under your hood, you will find multiple other connections deadheaded and secured to the inner fender and such. I bet that its alright.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Thanks again, Ford Tech ! I found the wire that is supposed to be attached--it was in a harness that goes up by the intake manifold--the wire was bare the first couple inches, don't know how much farther it is bare--perhaps there was a short or something that burned off the insulation. the plug end has continuity to ground, and the connector is on the temp sending unit. I have not yet checked to see if this plug has continuity to the sending unit connection; if it does that will tell me this is the wire that goes to the temp gauge, so perhaps I will have to take the gauge out and run a new wire to it...how does this sound? also, where does one connect the code reader on this truck? Fred

Reply to
septicman

I wouldnt even bother pulling that wire out of the loom. Just run a new wire, and splice it in from the sending unit to the connector. It shouldnt have shorted out, the insulation probably just got old and cracked off the wire since it was outside the loom and subject to the elements more than if it was in the loom.

There is no connection for a code reader on that truck. It is OBD I, which only has you ground a connector and count the flashes from the check engine light. That scanner you have only works on OBD II cars, that were made from

96 and newer.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech