how to fix a low reading temp gauge on a cj

I finally got my temp gauge working on my 86 cj7 with a fiberglass body. after reading the article on

the gauges I figured out how to fix a low reading temp gauge. aftertesting the temp sending unit in the block it seemed that the resistance wasa little higher than it should be according to the articles in jeepteck . soI bought a new sending unit and tested resistance and it also was higherthan it was suppose to be. then when I checked the temp gauge in the dashwith resistance the needle was showing a lower reading than what it shouldbe. so with the combination of a high resistance sending unit and a gaugethat was reading low. when I ran the jeep the needle barley got off the coldside of the gauge. so to get the needle to read higher on the gauge I put 310 ohm resistors from the post on the back of the temp gauge to ground. allthis is doing is running in series with the temperature sending unit to makethe resistance lower. carmine

Reply to
Jet

John Welch

Mine usually reads low, but so does my gas gauge.

The voltage regulator in the gas gauge on mine is bad. It is only putting out 3 volts instead of 5 'usually'. Though yesterday it decided to work perfectly.

Mike

Jet wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain