Just got a power stroke

Just bought a real clean 1996 F-250 CrewCab, short bed 4x4. It does have

170000miles

This truck has a 6in lift and 35in tires.

When running empty it can shift real hard between 1 and 2, and also 2 and

  1. Worse when running slow. Shifts better when putting the peddle to it. Shifts great when pulling my trailer.

Can it just be my speedometer(off about 10%) being off and giving the wrong information for the shift pattern.

If so what is the best way to correct. Reprogramming by the dealer , or aftermarket correction like TRUESPEED.

Also I know some aftermarket programmers(like Diablo or Superchips) can change shift patterns on newer trucks, but not sure about older than 99

Reply to
Phoenix

You can recalibrate the speedo yourself it isn't that hard if it has the electronic odometer. These trucks can shift hard, you might look into a trans command module from Banks they have been known to help. For more info than you will ever need go to

it's a great site.

Reply to
JSMMV