Labor cost question.

Recently my 1978 Ford E150 conversion van developed a leak in a brake line. Took it to my local shop to be fixed. Awhile later I picked it up and the bill was a little over $75.00. $15.00 + for parts, $60.00 per hour labor rate.

With so many knowledgeable people here from all over the country, I was wondering if this is a standard per hour rate. I live in west Michigan.

I don't begrudge anyone a living wage and appreciate the expertise & knowledge of mechanics, but also want to be treated fairly.

If the consenses is that this is standard, I'll accept that as so.

Ken

Reply to
Bill Benson

In my area, labor rates at the stealership run to about $70. An independent will likely be cheaper, and all are required to post the labor rate in the customer waiting area, or in a place where the customers can easily see what it is.

The mechanics typically charge on a flat rate, where they refer to a book tht gives them a number of hours for a particular service. The mechanic strives to complete the job in the time alloted or less. If they manage to complete the job in less time, they still get to charge the flat rate. (If a job should take an hour, and they complete it a half-hour, they make money, if they finish in an hour and a half, they do not charge more and they lose money.) As a practical matter, they seldom take longer than the quoted time.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You'll find huge differences from place to place. A Ford dealer here in the DC metro area charges at least $90/hr, and the independents are pretty close to that too. Specialty dealerships like Mercedes, BMW, etc., charge $135+ I've been told.

Where my parents live in rural WV, larger dealerships charge $60 or so, but one small, out-of-the-way Ford dealer charges $45/hr. If I can plan my repairs and maintenance in advance, I have them do my work when needed.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

There is no standardized labor rate.

Without knowing exactly how much of the rear brake line was replaced and how tidy the finished job was, it would be impossible to say whether you were treated fairly.

$75 is pretty close to what I charged for the 92 F-150 I did about a month ago, ABS modulator to rear axle flex hose.

That same job on a Toyota car with dual brake lines would run over $200

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Thanks for the responses.

I guess the independant I went to is pretty much in line with others at $60.00 an hour labor.

Reply to
Bill Benson

The dealer I go to charges $72 per hour. The independent up the street charges $65 per hour, and the better thing is, he only charges actual hours required to do the work, not the book time!! Some things are still done better by the dealer. Metro Atlanta, GA

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Flat rate is the only fair way to do business. What if they guy is a slow MF? Then you get charged 3 hours for a 30 minute job. It takes a damn good mechanic to CONSISTENTLY beat the flat rate book. Been there, done that. (twice)

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

The key word Steve is Mechanic, vrs a technician.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

The independant up the street is a really good mechanic and besides that he is honest. I've never heard anyone that even though he didn't do everything that was needed and nothing else when repairing their vehicle. There are some things he doesn't do and he tells you up front what they are. I've never had a dealership turn a repair around as fast as he does.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J