farm grade diesel

anyone out there have any good or bad luck running the "off road" red diesel in there power stroke?

Thanks M

Reply to
gus

Same fuel different dye and it also "glows" under a black light. If you are ever unlucky enough to get caught using un-road taxed fuel on the "road" you will wish you had not tried to save a few bucks using. BTW #2 heating oil and farm diesel is the exact same bulk stuff except for brand additives. (both are not road taxed)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I've probably run 1000 gallons of it through my '99 7.3 in the last 7 years or so, with no noticeable difference or problems whatsoever.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

It's not the same fuel. It's high sulphur. But works fine if you like a $10,000 fine.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Not anymore, ALL diesel/fuel oil is going to low sulpher as stocks are depleted.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Better check again.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

No need to, I heat with oil here and after a fill up with fuel this fall my furnace definately smells different when the wind is right. No real sulpher smell anymore. My supplier told me to that ALL fuel is going to it and they are a big distributor. He also told me that places even dye road diesel at sub stations delivery nodes to sell as heating oil without tax so they no longer have to store two "kinds" of fuel which lowers overhead at refinery and substations. Dyed on demand.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Farm engines are under exactly the same pressure as highway tractors to reduce sulphur emissions, and are built to the same tolerances. The only difference between farm grade diesel and the rest of the stuff is the dye in the farm diesel - and there may be a minor difference in the amount of tax collected.

HR.

Reply to
Rowbotth

There is a big difference in the tax collected - that's the reason it's red. There is no road tax collected, that's the reason you'll pay a minumum $12,000 fine if caught with the red diesel in a vehicle on the highway.

Is it worth the risk!!!! Do all your neighbors like you or do some hate you????

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Where did you get the "minimum $12,000" figure? I can't find a source for a fine that large.

However, see

a portion ofthe "Internal Revenue Manual (IRM)". I quote below from that IRSdocument.

Begin quote:

IRS=>20.1.10.15.1.1 (01-01-2006) IRS=>Improper Sale of Dyed Fuel IRS=>

IRS=> 1. The penalty is imposed if any dyed fuel is sold or held for IRS=>sale by any person for any use that such person knows or has IRS=>reason to know is not a nontaxable use of such fuel. IRS=> 2. "Nontaxable use" has the meaning given to the term by IRC IRS=>section 4082(b) , Nontaxable use. IRS=>

IRS=>20.1.10.15.1.2 (01-01-2006) IRS=>Improper Use of Dyed Fuel IRS=>

IRS=> 1. The penalty is imposed if any dyed fuel is held for use or IRS=>used by any person for a use other than a nontaxable use and such IRS=>person knew, or had reason to know, that such fuel was so dyed. IRS=>

IRS=>20.1.10.15.1.3 (01-01-2006) IRS=>Willful Alteration of Dye Concentration IRS=>

IRS=> 1. The penalty is imposed if any person willfully alters, or IRS=>attempts to alter, the strength or composition of any dye or IRS=>marking done pursuant to IRC section 4082 in any dyed fuel. IRS=>

IRS=>... IRS=>

IRS=>20.1.10.15.3 (01-01-2006) IRS=>Penalty Computation IRS=>

IRS=> 1. For the first violation, the amount of the penalty on each IRS=>act is the greater of? IRS=> 1. $1,000, or IRS=> 2. $10 for each gallon of the dyed fuel involved. IRS=>

IRS=> 2. For additional violations, the amount in (1)(a) is IRS=>determined by multiplying $1,000 times the number of prior IRS=>penalties imposed by IRC 6715 on such person (or a related person IRS=>or any predecessor of such person or related person). IRS=> 1. For example, if 50 gallons of dyed fuel is involved IRS=>in a person?s first violation, the penalty would be $1,000 IRS=>because that amount is greater than 50 X $10. If 150 gallons of IRS=>dyed fuel is involved in that person?s second violation, the IRS=>penalty would be $2,000 because that amount ($1,000 X 2 IRS=>violations) is greater than 150 X $10.

End quote.

As I read the above, the penalty imposed by the IRS on a diesel pickup found to be burning dyed (untaxed) fuel is $1,000 for a first offense, the minimum fine, unless the pickup's tank capacity exceeds 100 gallons. Additional fines may be imposed by state enforcers. The penalty is nowhere near the $12,000 figure you cite unless the violations involve lots of gallons, or the offender repeatedly gets caught and fined.

Still, one would need to burn a lot of untaxed fuel to save enough to cover a single $1,000 fine.

Bob

Reply to
<abusereporter1

The case I know about was in GA and the fines for the 1st time caught was $12,000, including Federal & State fines. This "farmer" installed a tank on his "farm" and ran all his vehicles out of that tank and no farm equipment was ever envolved. The fine was on all the fuel he purchased before being caught. There was probation on top of the fine but I don't remember for how long.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Wow that's crazy...

When I worked for a very fancy shmancy golf course in my area, we always filled up our powerstroke dump truck with red-dyed diesel...same as what we put in our J. Deere tractors...

The amount of times I drove that truck around to get stuff from vendors...Man I coulda fined my boss straight outta his office. Guess I was lucky on the Jersey roads.

Reply to
Yabahoobs

Fair warning - it's considered tax evasion, not just an automotive violation. Keep that in mind. Big fines if caught!

snipped-for-privacy@444.nnet wrote:

Reply to
Lint Radley

fwd'd to snipped-for-privacy@irs.gov