<Old ford F-100 1956> ? about steering conversion

current column is a 81 gm style 35" long to the original manual steering box I would like to convert it to the Toyota 4x4 power steering box this would involve shortening the column ~6" does anyone know of a 30" column that is readily available at a junk yard that has column shift & key? because if i could avoid having to cut & weld a column that would be nice. the other option is $500 for an ididit style column.. John 56 F100 in various states of dis-repair

Reply to
john

because if i

The easiest way to shorten the column is at the collapsing collar. This how I shortened a column out of a 72 Olds Delta 88 to fit a 75 Vega while stationed in Germany eons ago. doesn't require removing the whole column, just from where the shaft clamps at the column housing adjacent to the fire wall and then undue the rag joint at the gear box. Heat the collar area up, it uses a "plastic" to hold together, pull it apart when it melts. Install the gear box, measure the difference and then cut that from the upper end of the lower piece, assemble in place and spot wield in two places. You want enough holding power to keep it from coming apart, but you want the wields to snap if you get hit so the column will collapse. Its held like that for almost 30 years with no problems.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

"Whitelightning" <

<snip for brevity>

thanks for the spot weld tip, the column is at a very steep up down angle right now and I was trying to figure out a nice breaking/crush point. John

Reply to
john

Gesh I am getting old, when you cut it to size, you cut off from the end that goes into the other end, does that make sense? The smaller diameter end.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

"Whitelightning" <w

no doesn't make sense? but i have fire & beer thus i can fix anything John

Reply to
john