1986 F-150

I have a 1986 F-150 4X4, 4.9L six, 4speed ( what some call a " granny "

4-spd ). After a motorcycle accident, The clutch is quite painful to use ( doc says " live with it " ). What all will I need to convert this truck to an auto trans. I know I'll need the trans, T-case adapter and some sorta shifter, but what about driveshaft length and such ?. Any thoughts on the matter would be welcome.

Thank You for your time

Reply to
John M. Wright

Sell it and buy another truck with an automatic. It will be easier and probably cost you about the same.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Unless you already have a doner vehicle with all the right parts, it is more practical and cheaper to trade around for another truck. I have done a couple of conversion over thyears and never was completely with the results in a daily driver.

Reply to
lugnut

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

1986 F-150 On Sun, Jul 11, 2004, 7:17am (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@saber.net (John=A0M.=A0Wright) wrote in.......

I have a

1986 F-150 4X4 4.9L six 4speed ( what some call a " granny " 4-spd ).

After a motorcycle accident, The clutch is quite painful to use ( doc says " live with it " ).

What all will I need to convert this truck to an auto tran?

I know I'll need the trans, T-case adapter and some sorta shifter, but what about driveshaft length and such ?.

Any thoughts on the matter would be welcome.

Thank You for your time =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

How funnie's yer money? What's the max you are WILLING to spend?

Are you going to do all the work? How lazy are you? Do you want to go as far as makeing it appear OEM, or are you willing settle for a floor shifter?

Just to get some idea of what your looking at, as far as price goes, get a price for the complete setup from a SALVAGE YARD for your vehical.

Tranny w/ t-case Driveshaft Crossmember Steering Column

You'll have around $200 in a floor shifter, after market oil cooler, cooler lines, and miscellaneous minor items such as tie straps, cleaner, silicone and such.

You should be able to find a Salvage unit with a t-case for around $1200, with a 1 year warranty.

Driveshaft.....$25 Crossmember...$15 Steering Column ...$65

let's figure total around.....$1400 after tax. let's add on the other items..$200

and i figure yer gonna spend...$ 1 6 0 0.=B0=B0

Then all yer ganna need to do is crawl under there and spend 2 or 3 days cussing it,,,,,

That's if you're willing to use a Salvage unit. Me....i wouldn't suggest a used unit.

You always have that other option..... let a Tranny Shop do it....but that's going to cost you around $1800-$2500 depending on the shop.

So....now all I guess you need to do is figure out if it's worth the extra $200-$900 to let someone else do it with a PARTS AND LABOR WARRANTY, so if it doesn't work when it's installed..... you won't have to crawl back under there and start cuss'n again.

Keep in mind...you can deduct the price of the steering column, or the floor shifter. You may get lucky and be able to use your existing crossmember (honestly I'm not sure), but those costs are minor. What your after finding out is the major cost, the price of a complete tranny with a transfer case attatched, that will fit your trucks year,make,model, and engine. Your truck ain't brand new...so the cost for a unit isn't going to run high. We're not working on a "late model" truck here.

~speed cost money...how fast you wanna go?~

~:~ MarshMonster ~looks out the back door of the tranny shop at all dem 4x4 cases .......wishes someone would come in wanting one....with cash in hand~ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Yeah..... After totaling it up. I have come to the conclusion that I'll either live with it as is, or sell it. Salvage yard prices added up to more than I have invested in the truck so far.

Thanks for your time

John

1986 F-150

On Sun, Jul 11, 2004, 7:17am (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@saber.net (John M. Wright) wrote in.......