? on automatic hubs

I used 4WD for the first time ever tonight and backed up to release the automatic hubs once I was out of the slippery snow. Then I wondered what keeps the hubs from releasing if you want to back up in 4WD? My guess is that something keeps the hubs from releasing in reverse as long as torque is being applied. Can someone please explain how these things actually work?

-- Roy DotSeaEh is .ca

Reply to
Roy Brown

You are correct, torque from the axles keep them engaged. Once you turn off the 4WD, the axles do not provide that torque and then the hubs disengage from spring action internally.

Lane

Reply to
lane

I haven't taken any apart, and I don't know how they work, but I can tell that they will disengage and then re-engage when you reverse in 4WD.

Reply to
Joe

Thanks, That info will definately keep me from having a few anxious moments wondering if I have done something I should not have.

-- Roy DotSeaEh is .ca

| > > -- | > > Roy | > > DotSeaEh is .ca | > >

| > You are correct, torque from the axles keep them engaged. Once you turn | off | > the 4WD, the axles do not provide that torque and then the hubs disengage | > from spring action internally. | >

| > Lane | >

| |

Reply to
Roy Brown