Pickup Truck Snow Cover ?

I want to make a cover for my F-150 such that I can just pull the cover off and have all the accumulated snow on the roof, windshield, and hood come with it.

In the past I have used a tarp, but there are convenience issues around securing it so that wind does not carry it away. Not huge issues, for sure.... but I've got time on my hands and would enjoy making something that works better.

I see a lot of windshield-only covers out there, but nothing like what I am thinking about.

Before I blow the bucks on material, has anybody got something that works for them?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Aren't you worried about scratching the paint? I would think no matter what the material is, if you're dragging it off, whatever's under it will drag on the paint.

If not, I would think some Teflon-impregnated material with magnetic strips all around the edges (and maybe spaced either side to side or front to back, too) would help with the wind problem.

Another option might be a rigid-framed tarp, shaped to the area you are covering, with a hook on the upper end that you could attach to a rope over a tree branch or something so you could pull it up and off the truck, taking the snow with it.

I haven't Googled/Binged anything, but there might already be something out there that would fit your needs. Got room for a temporary portable garage? :-)

Reply to
SC Tom

Per SC Tom:

Thanks!... that's the kind of stuff I was trolling for.

Actually, scratching did cross my mind, but I was starting to think it was just me being obsessive...

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

cresswell, what are you doing here ?

use magnets. used speaker magnets. removal is experimental by grinding or 02/map

gas..

or magnets from 'all electronics' or similar.

and a plastic tarp over the clean windshield.

remove tarp with hot water

ice storm ice is removable with hot water or made separable

Reply to
avagadro7