Pinging.

Hi all..... I have read alot here about pinging in engine on acceleration and uphill . I have noticed some small pinging or clicking in my engine going uphill on a high gear just before it downshifts. Is it something I should worry about? Have an E150 302 EFI 1988 with 100kmiles. Have changed wires, plugs, rotor and distributercap adjusted timing changed all filters on regular maintenence. The engine runs at normal temp, and I use 95 oktane unleaded fuel. Don't know if this engine have MAP Sensor or MAF sensor or whatever. This is no big deal, just wondered. Tor Elling.

Reply to
Tor Elling Rustad

If read a Ford owners manual that said infrequent or mild pinging is nothing to worry about. However, pinging is not good for the engine, so I got rid of mine.

Some possible fixes are: using higher octane fuel; cleaning the MAF sensor; or retarding the timing (if possible).

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Mild pinging just means you are tuned for best performance. More major pinging or detonation can ruin an engine. Bob

Reply to
Bob

I beg to differ Bob. Since pinging is the result of autoignition, the fuel is not burning evenly as it should; i.e., the flame front should start from the spark plug and drive the piston down with a smooth pressure increase as the gases expand. When pinging is present, sharp spikes in the pressure curve can be seen. These sharp spikes are from the mixture autoigniting at various locations in the cylinder. The fuel at these locations combusts so quickly that it "smacks" the top of the pistion causing the audible noise known as pinging. Pinging will increase the heat in the cylinder, since work that would have been done by the expanding gas driving down the piston is lost.

Tom

Reply to
Tom