Oil change on rear differensial.

Hi.... I want to change oil on my rear differensial, and need some advice. There are no drain plug and no filler plug on the back cover of the diff. Where is it? It must at least be a filler plug I suppose. It is marked Axle 19 on the ID markplate on the drivers door. Which axle does the car have?

1988 E150 302 EFI Tor Elling.
Reply to
Tor Elling Rustad

Thomas Moats

Many Ford differentials have the fill plug on the front side - kind of hard to see, but it's there. Look for a threaded hole. The plug has a square

3/8" opening, which may be filled with gunk. On my old LTD there is anti-vibration weight attached to the diff, which gets in the way and needs to be removed.

Reply to
IK

take it to a full service station(if you can find one)_ they will remove the rear cover off the rear end, then put a suction tool in the opening and suck up all the oil that is below the line of the cover plate... then pump some more rear end oil into the rear end up to where the bottom of the cover plate fits it... the put the cover plate back on.... or you can do it your self if you have a pump/suction removal tool to get the old oil out....

Reply to
jim