Pinging in E350 Motorhome

I have a 1993 Ford E350 22' motorhome with a 460 cu.in. engine. Had spark plugs replaced and a tune-up about 10,000km ago. Since then there has been a slightly progressive increase in the engine pinging under load. Apparently this is "normal" for this engine and the recommended fule is Octane 87 (regular unleaded), which I use. When mentioned to a few mechanics they all suggest using higher grade fuel. Do I need to worry about getting the timing checked? How serious of a problem is drving the vehicle while it pings?

Larry Gagnon

Reply to
Larry Gagnon

If this happened after the "tune-up", you might check and see if the shop adjusted the timing during the tune-up. (It might have been put to "factory specs" which isn't always the best set-up.)

Try a tank of 89 octane and see what happens too.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

the 460 needs high octane fuel. as long as you use 87 octane, you will get detonation, and eventually ruin the motor

Reply to
Falcoon

The 460 Absolutely DOES NOT "need" high octane fuel!

A properly tuned 460 that is running well with all system function properly can run on any of the standard commercially available grades of gasoline with no detonation.

The original posters detonation problem is not an octane issue! Something has changed from before his "tune up".

Please explain how you can make such an absurd a blanket statement about this engine? Oh, I would be interested in hearing how you think detonation will eventually ruin his engine.

Changing fuel octane from a lower octane to a higher octane, at best would mask the true reason for his relatively "new" detonation problem, possibly compounding the original problem.

Reply to
351CJ

check for vacuum leaks re check the timing. john

Reply to
john

It's not a big problem if you don't mind a hole in the top of a piston.

Reply to
Exodus

I would hope that he gets detonation, no matter what fuel he is trying to burn. Without detonation, the engine will not run. If he increases the octane rating, he will still get detonation. However, hopefully by raising the octane rating, he will eliminate pre-ignition of the fuel and the accompanying ping.

Reply to
Exodus

My 85 F250 w/460 runs better on regular than premium grade, go figure...

David Jones djonesLSidaho.com

Reply to
IdaSpode

The only normal ping is that associated with engine lugging when the tranny is just about to downshift and YES, excessive ping can cause damge and should not be tolerated. The 460 motor is designed for 87 octane. Using a higher octane is just an expensive bandaid.

Does the spark knock diminish at wide open throttle ( pedal to the metal)?

- If so then check the EGR system ( the EGR valve is supposed to close at WOT and the PCM goes into open loop strategy). A code tester will come in handy. This is a good time to clean out the throttle body area.

-If not then the ping is likely misfire related. Check all those "tune up" items such as ignition wire connections, wire routing , PCV valve installation etc... Perhaps this problem was maintenance induced ( a very common cause of car trouble nowadays). An exhaust gas test will likely reveal high HC and NOx levels. Are there any other symptom such as rough idle, high idle , lack of power , hesitation, poor fuel milage etc..?

Reply to
gil