Re: 87 F150 Sloppy Steering ??

a stuck caliper can cause this to a certain extent

Just picked it up last night and noticed on the drive home that the front > end "Wallows" all over the place. > > There's no real "Slop" in the steering wheel, but when inputs are given, > the steering responds VERY slowly and overexagerated (if that makes sense). > > Kinda "FLOPS" from side to side and when a "correction" is given, it OVER > corrects. > > The last vehicle that I owned that acted like this was a 77 K5 Blazer that > had worn out front leaf springs. > > I know the shocks are toast on this F150, but I think the problem is more > involved than that. > > Any ideas here ?? > > > > ERIC > > 89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker > 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam! > > --->> FOR SALE > Check out the Ford Engine Heaven! >

Hawk

I'd be taking a close look at the steering box adjustment (possibly too tight) and the ball joints. They may be binding up and giving you the "frozen king pin syndrome".

Reply to
Steve Barker

Oh yes, frozen u-joints will do the same thing. Brake caliper? No.

Reply to
Steve Barker

hehe, your right, I got confused, I did the u joints and calipers at the same time, for different problems. the diving for the ditch was the stuck caliper, ... compounded by the dang ujoint problem. It was fun to drive for a little while! kept me on my toes, I know that!

Reply to
Hawk

Hmm.......

Well it is a 4x2..... and come to think of it the brakes are REAL touchy.

Maybe BOTH front calipers are sticking....... ???

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

--->> FOR SALE same time, for different problems. the diving for the ditch was the stuck

Reply to
Katmandu

anyone thought about drag links and tie rod ends?!?! maybe even a pitman arm?

Reply to
Joe G

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:56:52 GMT, "Katmandu" wrote: I had to replace my front ball joints on my 87 F150 300" manual at about 145k. No problems since...

Reply to
Lefty