Re: Engine misses after rainy night

> >2000 F250 SD, 53,000 miles, standard cab, 8' bed, 6.8L V10, automatic > >tranny. I bought it new, June, 2000. Problem started early in 2008. I do= n't > >have a garage, so the truck is parked outside. After a rainy night, truc= k > >starts, but immediately it runs on maybe 5 cylinders. Let it run to warm= up > >and dry out for 20 minutes and the missing never stops. It's worse under > >load. First time it happened, I drove it 9 miles to work and 9 hours lat= er > >drove it home. On the way I bought a bottle of ISO HEET and poured it in > >the tank Let it set overnight. Problem went away until the next rainy > >night. I have a good sealing gas cap, so I don't think water is getting > >into the fuel that way. I still feel like it's an electrical problem, bu= t > >the engine is dry and I've checked all the wiring I can and don't see an= y > >things wrong. Anybody got any ideas or solutions?. > > My guess would be bad coil/plug boots allowing water into coils/plugs. > > Lugnut

I'm with Lugnut. My Corvette had one bad boot to the coil. I found it using a vacuum cleaner hose up to my ear and heard a ticking noise on #8. Replaced that wire, the ticking and the missing went away. It is a 2000 with 40,000 miles. I replaced the rest of the wires while I was at it. Has not missed since - wet or dry.

Bob Drake, Alex., VA

Reply to
Blue C5