Re: Ford F-150 Problem (Am I Crazy?)

Toyota guy had a problem like this, found out it was his IAT sensor--air intake sensor. After spending $1,000 at toyota.

---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

*I'm posting this to all of the groups this has been active on, I'm sorry if > any of you get doubles on this. * > > Happy Traveler et al, > > Well today I made some progress, not sure if its good progress, but hey, > something is better than nothing. Before I go any further, lets make sure > we're on the same page, this is the 1993 Ford F-150, 4.9L (300CID) Inline 6 > pickup with 185,000 miles that I am ready to drive into the bayou. Ok, we're > up to speed. > > This morning the truck cranked and ran fine to work (note: once again, cool > ambient temperature), it didn't seem to have a single problem. However, > today the temperature managed to warm up and stay warm, and that played > absolute hell on my truck. At lunch it pulled the same ol' stunt and just to > recap, I cranked it, let it sit for a few seconds and upon applying the > accelerator even a little bit the truck begins to choke, wheeze and stall > uncontrollably, and that is once again, where I see black smoke and smell > raw fuel. So, I did like any normal day and left it sitting and found > another mode of transportation to lunch (once again, please don't ask) and > came back later, about 4 hours later. This time, nothing changed, unlike > other days. The temperature had cooled down some, but not much, but the > truck still refused to run clean. So, being Mr. Inquisitive, I, for a lack > of a better term, "dicked" with the coolant sensor, and low and behold, it > came off in my hand! Yes, the upper gray connector portion separated from > the lower portion on the truck, but didn't set a code; I had to physically > remove the electrical connector for the Check Engine light to illuminate and > then, unbelievably, it drove, "better". Now mind you, it wasn't great, it > felt like it wanted to die, but it didn't. > > So, after some careful thought and pricing for different parts, I got in a > working mood and the following was accomplished: > > New set of Motorcraft 44C plugs > > New Distributor Cap (after looking at the new one, I could see how > corroded the original was!) > > New Rotor (also highly corroded) > > New Coolant Temperature Sensor > I think there was a question here, on the 1993 there are two > sensors, one > located on the engine block towards the rear of the engine which > tells the gauge > in the pickup the current engine temperature opperated by vacuum, I > believe. The > second one, this one, the one I changed, is on the front of the > engine where the > top radiator hose and heater hoses connect to the engine and it is > my understanding > that this sensor is the one that tells the computer what temperature > everything is running > at. Due to the fact that when I remove the plug on it and it puts > out a check engine light, > my guess is that this is correct, this is the one talking to the > ECM. > > New Air Filter > > Lets sidetrack for a moment and talk about these plugs; now, remember if you > will, in my first post, I made a comment about a plug being stuck? Friends, > this plug was STUCK, like chuck, or so they say. It took 30 minutes of work > with an Air Impact Gun to get it to spin and then slowly working it out, > turn by turn by turn. Amazingly, once it came free the plug was in decent > shape, you could tell it was worn, but for all intents and purposes, it > appeared to be in decent shape, the threads weren't galled up nor crossed > and I really couldn't find an explanation as to why it was so tight, go > figure. At least that's fixed and off my mind. > > So, back on track again, I guess tomorrow will really be the D-Day to see if > any of the above fixed my problem or helped to pinpoint it. I spoke to a > Motorcraft Serviceman today and the only other possible part that could be > causing this would the fuel pressure regulator, and that is probably the > next thing to get tested if this should again cause me problems. I'll keep > everyone updated on wether she smokes and chokes or strokes. > > Justin > >
Reply to
HoloBarre©®

Oh yeah, he initially solved it by just disconnecting it.

Reply to
HoloBarre©®

Perform A fuel injector pressure leak down test I've seen it on more then 1 occasion where you fined and intermitted injector leaking. thus the black smoke smell of raw fuel .

Reply to
tgrowe

Yes, you are crazy.

Reply to