Slick 50

Had the motor rebuilt in my F250 runs like a top. Was wondering what everyone thinks of using Slick 50 in it after a reasonable amount of break in time

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 00:01:49 +0000, Shawn rearranged some electrons to form:

It won't do a thing for you except drain your wallet. Change the oil regularly and you'll be fine.

Reply to
David M

Just send me the $30 and I'll tell you it's helping your engine.

Reply to
Steve Barker

If your going to use slick50, make sure you use amsoil with it, otherwise your just wasting your time.

;-)

L8r Hawk

Reply to
Hawk

I used it in a new light bright red 25th anniversary Mustang 5.0.

Planned on keeping it forever.

Put it in at about 8 K.

Replaced the motor at 40 K.

Car was never the same after the dealer butchered it during the repair and multiple follow ups.

Never again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
GlenC

After putting 1000 miles on it, do the following:

Change oil filter. Use Amsoil or Mobil 1 sythetic. Change oil and filter every 3000 miles.

Better than slick 50.

1987 TC - changed oil every 1500.

Reply to
C. Vaughan

Never tried it & look where its gotten me.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~278, 925 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

Reply to
Harry Face

NO!!!! No grey area in my thinking...:/ Now, I might consider going to a synthetic oil, after a full break-in, but thats as far as I would go. I'm not sure, as there are so many "snake oils" out there, but I think that stuff has teflon in it. Thats the LAST thing you want to out into an internal combustion engine. Just change the oil regular. Thats all you need to do. And synth oil is just an option to maybe give a longer overal life, if you plan on driving it for 300k miles...You can use regular dino oil, and have a long life, if you change it regularly. But high mile teardowns do seem to point to less long term wear using synth oil in most cases. Probably open to debate though...:/ If I did use synth oil, I wouldn't buy the high $$$$ stuff. Just mobil 1 , or whatever normal priced synthetic... MK

Reply to
Mark Keith

Thanks for the input everyone. I bought the truck off a friend who used slick 50 in it twice over the life of the truck along with regular oil changes every 3k. Between him and I we got 261k out of the motor. Think I will save my money and just keep the regular oil changes up.

thanks Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

We've several at work pushing 300k with NO $ynthetic, and certainly NO $lick

  1. Just regular straight 30 oil with regular changes. That's all it takes.
Reply to
Steve Barker

Did 384K on a 94 5.0L E-150. Changed the oil every 7K except for the last 46 thousand when I did no maintenance at all except adding a litre of the cheapest oil money would buy every two weeks. I kept praying it would let go so the boss would have to replace it.... (Front end was completely shot scary to drive in a blizzard) The old pig just wouldn't die, it leaked oil, tranny fluid and most of the gas you put in it went out the tail pipe till it warmed up but she still ran..... Long story short if you change the oil and filter regularly you can get 300K no problem without synthetics or snake oils like slick 50. In my opinion.

Reply to
JR

Of course you can. But you can probably get even more mileage out of the engine

with much less frequent oil chnages if you use the synthetic. I use it because I am lazy and enjoy the slight boost in MPG.

Reply to
Rob Munach

Apparently Slick 50 is nothing more than plain oil with some teflon in it, that is supposed to bond to the metal too reduce friction.

I keep hearing to never use an oil additives with teflon in it, because teflon can accumulate and clog oil passages and the oil pump.

Reply to
emcook