Tire shopping

I'm shopping for tires to replace those on my 1994 F150 4x4. I use it mostly for pulling a 4000# trailer.

Currently has 31-10.50x15 A/T tires, which I like. I don't want a real aggressive tread for the road noise. I like the stiff ride, usually run them at 50 psi. I absolutely hate the feel of movement in the sidewalls, especially when towing.

I was offered an alternative of P235-70/15LT. What is the difference in construction on these?

Anyone know of any good deals to be had? I'm in Fort Worth, but I don't mind ordering them online and mounting them here.

Thanks in advance

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

I live in the mountains and the 'P' series squeal around every curve and wore unevenly. I'd stick with the A/T's.

Reply to
Mellowed

This Michelin fits all you describe. One of the quietest tires on the road with a mud and snow tread. It's also made from rubber that gives you good tread mileage. It's also available in the size you now have. It'll cost a little more to buy up front, but your cost per mile to run them will be as cheap as any.

Discount tire will have the best price in your area when you reach the bottom of the purchase order, if they price there like they do in my area. They include mounting, stems, lifetime balanceing all in the 1st price.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Hey Rex,

When I was shopping for tires for my F-150 I had to do some shopping around myself. Just feel good that your not running a 17 inch wheel. Tires don't come cheap for those. I was running those and dropped down to a 16 inch wheel with 31's and got an inch and a half lift out of the deal. You can only go with an 8 inch width though cause they will rub if you jump to a 10 inch width. So far the best set I've use though is Dunlop or BF Goodrich. I've had a lot of luck with those two brands. No real sidewall floating and they last a while as long as you rotate them. They also come at a reasonable and competitive price. Just some insight on that for you.

Good Luck,

Reply to
Sharplav

Try Nitto Terra Grapplers at Discount Tire they are great on and off road tires at a reasonable price!!

Reply to
mjjohn

Also look at the all terrain variety of the Michelin. Heard very good thngs about them. Unfortunately, I"m running the 17" rims (see next post) that really sucks cause as he says (in next post) not only are they a whole lot more expensive, but you can't find a big selection or hardly enything in LT variety! Sucks! Sucks! Sucks!

Reply to
Don
235/70-15 will be much smaller than your present tires. Equivalent to 28-9.50 x 15.
Reply to
MWhite4981

Which may very well help with trailer towing if you have high (low numerically) rear gears.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4 (w/too low [4.30] rear gears)
Reply to
Matt Mead

|Hey Rex, | |When I was shopping for tires for my F-150 I had to do some shopping around |myself. Just feel good that your not running a 17 inch wheel. Tires don't |come cheap for those. I was running those and dropped down to a 16 inch |wheel with 31's and got an inch and a half lift out of the deal. You can |only go with an 8 inch width though cause they will rub if you jump to a 10 |inch width. So far the best set I've use though is Dunlop or BF Goodrich. |I've had a lot of luck with those two brands. No real sidewall floating and |they last a while as long as you rotate them. They also come at a |reasonable and competitive price. Just some insight on that for you.

I'm not looking for any change in diameter. Any particular Dunlop or BFG ?

Thanks for the input

|> I'm shopping for tires to replace those on my 1994 F150 4x4. |> I use it mostly for pulling a 4000# trailer. |>

|> Currently has 31-10.50x15 A/T tires, which I like. |> I don't want a real aggressive tread for the road noise. |> I like the stiff ride, usually run them at 50 psi. |> I absolutely hate the feel of movement in the sidewalls, especially when |towing. |>

|> I was offered an alternative of P235-70/15LT. |> What is the difference in construction on these? |>

|> Anyone know of any good deals to be had? |> I'm in Fort Worth, but I don't mind ordering them online and mounting them |here. |>

|> Thanks in advance |>

|> Rex in Fort Worth | |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

| |I'm shopping for tires to replace those on my 1994 F150 4x4. |I use it mostly for pulling a 4000# trailer. | |Currently has 31-10.50x15 A/T tires, which I like. |I don't want a real aggressive tread for the road noise. |I like the stiff ride, usually run them at 50 psi. |I absolutely hate the feel of movement in the sidewalls, especially when towing. | |I was offered an alternative of P235-70/15LT. |What is the difference in construction on these? | |Anyone know of any good deals to be had? |I'm in Fort Worth, but I don't mind ordering them online and mounting them here. | |Thanks in advance | |Rex in Fort Worth

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A's are GREAT TIRES. Wear like steel. good traction dry, rain, snow. quiet. Look good.

Reply to
Oscar_lives

Rex,

If you don't mind shopping online check out

I recently bought a set of tires from them and was very happy with the transaction. They deliver via UPS and I had them mounted and balanced at Wal-Mart for about $8 each--which includes lifetime balance and rotation. Tire Rack has several warehouses around the country and one is in Shreveport so you can get the tires in just a couple days. They have a HUGE selection with lots of information to help in the decision. I can't really suggest a particular tire because I'm not experienced with that size and type. The tires I bought were for a Mazda Millenia and by using the information I chose well--which made me very happy. The car rides NOTICABLY better and quieter. (Yokohama AVID T4) I'll be buying tires from them again!

Good luck!

Reply to
sevargmt

|Rex, | |If you don't mind shopping online check out

I |recently bought a set of tires from them and was very happy with the |transaction.

Thanks for the reminder. I've bought race tires from Tire Rack in years past. I have a rim-clamp tire mounting machine, but no balancer. Did not want to mess with these big tires, so the Wal-Mart option looks good. I'll check it out - thanks Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B