tire recommendations?

Hey all,

Presently have BFG All Terrain KOs 30x9.5 on 98 Wrangler Sport, which is what I've had on my 96 and 98 Cherokees, and have enjoyed them on the Cherokees. Good tread life, good enough off-road for the little areas I go. Problem w/ them on the Wrangler is that in most wet conditions on road, any somewhat hard application of the brakes, not trying to lock up makes them skid almost all the time. I don't know if it is just a Wrangler issue due to swb?? but I never had any problems with them on any of the fj40s I've owned in the past. Can anyone recommend a good on-road tire -- someone mentioned the Yokohama Geolanders ?? previously I think. Just trying to get rid of the sliding on the pavement. And it's just not me and my lead foot -- even the wife had the issue w/ the Wrangler. Any help/ideas are appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paw

I had the same issue w/ my '01 on the stock Goodyear GSAs. I think it's primarily the weight of the vehicle... the Wrangler is very light. That said, I haven't seen people complining about the wet pavement traction of the BFGs.

I somewhat solved mine by buying new tires.... researched quite a bit and got input from friends. Ended up going with the Bridgestone Dueler AT REVOs. Wet pavement traction improved dramatically over the GSAs and they do well offroad too. Haven't personally used the BFGs so I can't speak to how well they do comparatively... same goes for the Geolanders.

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

Thanks for the info and the recommend :)

Paul

Reply to
Paw

The Wrangler weighs around 3800 pounds and is not "very light."

Tom

snip

Reply to
mabar

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The TJ has enough braking ability to remind you of that horrible feeling you had just before you flew over the handlebars of your teenage bicycle !!

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

True but with 31x10.5 tires inflated to 32-35lbs like most people do, the contact patch is real small. I'd bet a paycheck (albeit a military one, i.e. small) that if Paw reduced his tire pressure to where the tire contact patch is correct at around 25lbs give or take, the skidding problems will go away.

Reply to
Richard Harris

Ooooh, I have done that with my previous tyres on more than a couple of occasions on wet tarmac (the idiots in front of me had non-working rear lights). I haven't tried it on dry tarmac yet.

TW

--

01 TJ Renegade 4.0L Auto D30/44, 265/75R16 BFG Muds

Reply to
TW

I run 28 pounds in my 31 x 10.5 x 15 BFG AT's on my '02 TJ. Seems just right for on road pressure.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Hmmmm.... I always had it at 30 for the Wrangler, I'll drop the pressure down to 25-26 and wait for the next rainstorm, thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paw

Out here (Denver) I-25 construction (aka T-Rex) makes for horrible SUDDEN stop, go, SUDDEN stop conditions. Luckily I don't have to drive it very often. The last time I did, though, about a week or so ago, I did manage to lock up the brakes momentarily (I backed off the brakes immediately, though, just enough to get light chirps so I would stop in time).

So yes, a TJ CAN lock its tires up on dry pavement. Even with stock brakes, even running heavy 33x12.50 tires (BFG A/T KO w/extra siping). That was very hard braking, though. Overall, these tires are actually very awesome for stopping in any condition. And when I put them on this last winter, I found I no longer needed to shift into 4wd when it snowed. Very cool.

Unfortunately, the only drawback is I've found they truly weren't aggressive enough for the kind of wheeling I do, so I'm counting the days until I can get new tires (thinking about BFG MT or GY MT/R; also toying with the idea of swampers)...

Reply to
Bob

I've got the Dueler AT Revo's, 30x9.5 run at 29+lbs, great in rain and snow. JD

2K-TJ

"There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
JD

Thanks JD

Paul

Reply to
Paw

I would if I knew what you meant ... I've braked from 50 to 5 mph in 54 feet in my TJ. That's pretty damn good for a SWB 4000lb vehicle, leastways my Dad and I thought so.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Appreciate that Tom.. I actually thought it was closer to 3200 curb weight. I suppose it's all a matter of perspective too...

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The factory door sticker says 29 pounds on my '02 TJ that came with

30x9.5x15 tires from the factory. When I switched to 31's, I lowered the pressure to 28 pounds. Seems perfect.

Tom

snip

Reply to
mabar

That could be one... not exactly what I was thinking, but then again...

Apparently I was mistaken regarding the weight of a TJ. I've thought they were significantly lighter than most SUVs on the road and that's what I was comparing against when I said "light". Don't get me wrong... I don't think the TJ is an SUV, but there's really no other "class" of vehicle to compare it against in my book.

Sorry to get this thread off on a different direction...

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti