Whistle Noise from 6.0L Diesel F350

When towing a heavy load, 13,000 pounds, up a long hill, I sometimes get a whistling sound coming from the engine at the same time the auxillary fan/pump comes on. It doesn't occur all the time, but more often on the more severe hills. Today it happened on the Lewiston, ID, hill; 6 miles, 7% or more grade. If I let up briefly on the accellerator the noise goes away for 5 to 10 seconds.

Anybody else experience this?

Reply to
rvfulltime

Turbo working at top effort. Do you have a turbo boost gauge or pyrometer? Did they show a marked increase?

Reply to
Frank Tabor

Sounds like the turbocharger.

Reply to
Matthew Beasley

Hello----lo----lo---lo----lo

Just as I thought. The acoustics in here suck. There's a hell of an echo.

Reply to
Frank Tabor

The messages passed each-other in cyberspace!

Reply to
Matthew Beasley

You've got an intercooler hose clamp needing tightening. One of them is leaking under pressure and making the whistling noise.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

There is a turbo PSI gauge on the 6.0L engine. It's a little over halfway on the climb. But note, the whistle noise appears NOT when the turbo is heavily engaged, but when the auxillary pump/fan (whatever it is) gets engaged which occurs after I've been pullling the hill for a while. This devices goes on for a while, then goes off, then comes back on, then off, etc. until some period of time AFTER I've crested the hill, say 15 to

30 seconds later.
Reply to
rvfulltime

The fact that it's a whistling noise, not the normal turbo noise, makes your response sound logical.

Reply to
rvfulltime

That's not an auxilliary fan, that is THE fan behind the radiator. big sucker. Moves a tremendous amount of air. Could be the belt is loose and slipping. That fan takes several horsepower to turn when the clutch is engaged.

Reply to
Frank Tabor

I second the notion of the belt slipping after the clarification. Replace the belt and make sure the tensioner is free to travel.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

From personal experience, you are absolutely correct. They also are a son of a gun to re-install properly if the turbo is removed for any reason. It took a certified Ford tech three tries to install it correctly so it didn't whistle on mine.

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch

I had a whistle sound under load after my turbo was rebuilt. They forgot to tighten the exhaust to spec. Smelled like exhaust in the cab. If you don't have the smell then I would go with the intercooler prognosis.

Nate

Reply to
Nate