White Smoke on PSD

A beautiful New England morning ruined by white smoke.
40 degrees, truck fires right off after sitting 3 days. White smoke.
Wait a minute for it to get some heat in the heads, White Smoke.
Seems a little noisier than normal, white smoke.
Drive around the block, temp starts to come up. Truck has no power, belches white smoke.
Feels electrical, truck seems to "catch and go" than slows down.
No mosquitoes left on the whole block!
Truck had been running 100% up to this point.
White Smoke = un burnt fuel.
Any help out there, please
--
Peter T. Arnold
Windsor, Connecticut
40 degrees, truck fires right off after sitting 3 days. White smoke. Wait a minute for it to get some heat in the heads, White Smoke. Seems a little noisier than normal, white smoke. Drive around the block, temp starts to come up. Truck has no power, belches white smoke. Feels electrical, truck seems to "catch and go" than slows down. No mosquitoes left on the whole block! Truck had been running 100% up to this point. White Smoke = un burnt fuel. Any help out there, please ________________________________________________
If the white smoke smells like normal exhaust and slowly vanishes, it could be water vapor from a cracked head.
If the white smoke smells like burning oil and stays visible, it could be from a cracked piston or broken piston rings.
No pleasant options here.
Good luck.
Rodan. _________________________________________________

If I may offer my half-assed solution, if it is coolant from a cracked head causing the smoke you might be able to narrow it down by adding stop-leak that says it will fix cracked heads and leaking head gaskets (such as Justice Brothers). It it's your pistons or rings then I expect the stop-leak would do nothing.
White smoke is water vapor. You likely have a bad head gasket.
Peter Arnold wrote:

PSD=Power Stroke Diesel White smoke=fuel
if the vacumn line to the transmission has ruptured the diagfram, it will suck tranny fluid into the intake. then you get a LOT of white smoke. if your car?? has a vavumn modulator, it is easy to change .,it is on the rea or side of tranny. old john

Ever replace the cam position sensor? It should be on the upper left as you're looking at the pulley on the front of the engine. I'd at least try disconnecting and reconnecting it before I did anythingserious like take it in somewhere to have the codes checked.
Peter, I asked a friend more knowledgeable than I about your truck. He had two questions...is the idle speed higher than normal and was the fuel tank recently filled. He said he would lean towards an injector hung open.
HTH, bradtx

Peter,
I've been reading this thread with some interest since I had the same experience a few months ago with Dodge Cummins. White smoke on acceleration, no power, etc, etc.
I was on a return trip coming from Central Mass back to Norfolk and filled up at the Pilot just north of the Mass/Conn state line. By the time I got down to I-95, I was wondering if I was going to make it home.
Eventually, the problem with the smoke "went away" and the truck exhibited typical symptoms of a fouled fuel filter - less and less acceleration and peak rpm kept getting lower and lower.
By the time I got back to Norfolk, I had run the tank of fuel out, peak rpm was just over 2500, so I bought a fresh tank of fuel and changed the filter and the truck has been running like new ever since.
Greg

Drama over,
Neighbor filled 1 tank with gasoline!
Pete