Range Rover Classic starting and heater (was Help! Disco II stranded in Czech Republic)

Fist an update on the Disco. It's still in CZ, sitting in the Land Rover dealer waiting for some parts to arrive so they can reassemble the heads, after which we'll know if it was just the heads or a block problem, so fingers crossed! Meanwhile, I've had to return to the UK and have bought a 1989 Range Rover to use until I get my Disco back. It was a V8 EFI but has had a 300TDI conversion. It runs and drives fine, and most things (including the aircon to my amazement) seem to be working. But the heater blows only cold air, the temperature of which seems pretty much the same irrespective of the position of control lever. As summer still seems a way off, judging by yesterday's weather, I'm keen to fix it. I'm hoping it's just a control lever problem, but am wondering if there are any known problems with heaters on Rangies of that age, and, when they are working, how good were they/should they be? As good as a 300TDI Disco, for example? Second thing is starting. I don't know how the ignition switch and glow plugs have been wired up. I assumed it would be like a 200TDI Defender, ignition on, wait for glow plug warning light to go off, turn key and engine fires before you can say "Boo!". But there's no sign of a glow plug warning light in the "ignition on" position and it takes a fair bit of cranking to get the engine to fire from cold. As it's a conversion from a petrol model , I don't know if there is / should be a warning light, or if I should be doing something different with the ignition key to activate the glow plugs (e.g. turning it and holding it against the spring until just before the starter motor engages???). The other odd thing is that it usually starts fine when hot, but sometimes just spins over with no sign of firing. If I then turn the ignition off and retry, there can be a clunk (like you get with a flat battery or some types of immobiliser when they are active) and the starter motor does not operate. Turn the ignition off and try again, starter spins happily and engine fires immediately.Any one any experience of

300TDI conversions on that generation of Rangie, and / or any ideas? Many thanks. Simon
Reply to
Simon Oates

A little obvious, but I assume that the heater pieps have been hooked up, and not bypassed. If so, then the next bit is to try and get some of the dash out and see if the control levers are doing their thing.

I had a porblem with the heater on my disco after replacing the heater matrix. Stuck in full heat position (not ideal in South Africa.) After having a few bits out, i discovered the bit that holds the cable outer in place just near the level control, was not doing its job. Bit of epoxy later and all was well again.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

I'd check the heater has been piped up correctly first.. then check the hoses to the heater are hot. They can oon a v8 be a bit of a faff to bleed the air out but I've found bunging a hose on one with the other also disconnected usually sorts it. You know the heater it's self is full then. Pipe it up with one hose loose ( which ever is the highest if poss) then run the engine. Wait for the water to spirt out of the loose hose and then tighten it up so your are sure as you can be it's bleed fully.

My old Renault 18 used to have a bleed thingy on the water hoses...very useful ARE YOU LISTENING LANDROVER!! ;-)

Don't forget the Diesels tend to run cooler so it may also be worth checking it actually has a thermostat fitted.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Sort of like the bleed tower thingy on the Rangie? Derek

Reply to
Derek

They have them? The last one I had was an 1983 V8 , none on that one and none on the 3.9 Disco or that I've noticed...I'll no doubt get to take a look over the next couple of days... finally getting to do the manifold gasket.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Dunno when exactly they used them from, Peggy was a late 89 3.5 ( Haynes predictably say 90 onwards) so prob from then until the 3.9 came in - bloody handy still took two or three attempts to get all the air out. Off to see another Disco saturday if my sanity lasts ( tdi200) Derek

Reply to
Derek