2002 Buick Rendevous heater fan

Greetings and happy Holidays. My wife has a 2002 Rendevous. The heater fan just crapped out 22 miles after the warrenty expired. (We live up at the Illinois, Wisconsin Border tells you how cold!!) Anyways.. I am trying to find out if anyone has had any experience or any ideas with this problem. I checked the Fuses etc.. The thing was working fine, then next morning my wife went to use it and no output from the fan Heater/AC. Any and all advice is appreciated. Darrell Crone

Reply to
Darrell Crone

Well, some of these are controlled by a fancy climate control computer, but most of the fan blowers still use resistors. What happends is at "fast" the voltage goes direc to the motor. On other speeds, they add a series resistor to slow the blower down.

This resistor is usually wire wound; the wire gets brittle, and breaks.

Usually, it's mounted in the duct, so that air blows over it, to keep it cool, and usually very near the motor. You can sometimes get to it by pulling out the glove box, or getting under the dash on the passenger side. You'll find if this is it, it usually just plugs on and off a connector and is held on with some small screws to the duct.

Perhaps someone with your model will chime in. If there are no other problems, and the fan doesn't operate in a/c, defrost, or heat, I would definately suspect this resistor.

They're inexpensive - $10-15 at the typical auto parts places.

Reply to
Merlin

Merlin, First of all, My wife just heaved a sigh of relief from your post. ;-) Is there a specific voltage or amp rating I am supposed to get? If so where would I find the info to buy them? Thanks! Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Crone

There are some pieces of information required to start the diagnostic procedure.

  1. Do you have the automatic climate control system or the manual type?
  2. If you have the manual type, does the blower motor work in the highest setting?

After that, then we can start diagnosing it if you are handy with a wrench and DVM.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

If the resistor pack is out you would still have high speed. Above you state all speeds are out. If you have climate control it would be controlled by an electronic controller. I had to get the last resistor pack from the dealer a couple months ago. Before jumping up and down you need to do some diagnostic work. Depending on your mechanical ability you may be money ahead by taking it to a good mechanic instead of throwing parts at it from guesses here.

Reply to
Woody

I had a 98 Buick Regal and took it to the dealer just after the warranty ran out to have a direction signal fixed. I thought it was just a bulb and so did the service advisor. After we changed some light bulbs, he said it was probably something else. I told him it was just out of warranty and that I had bought the car there and ask if they would consider fixing it under warranty. He kind of laughed, but when I went to pick up the car, he said he talked to the district and they OKed the fix under warranty. It was over $200 and I paid nothing.

You might give it a try, worked for me.

Karl

Reply to
Silverado

Steve, Does not run at any speeds.. Nada Nothin.. I hear a "CLICK" noise when going from 4-5. (Numbers on Nob) We do not have the automatic Climate control, I am in the Military and cannot afford something so "SHMANCY" ;-) Thanks..

Reply to
Darrell Crone

Find the blower motor, unplug it. Turn the fan control to the highest setting and check for BAT+ at the connector. I believe the wires are RED and BLK, BAT+ should be on the RED.

If that's okay, you need a new fan.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Steve... Thanks but can you please tell me what BAT+ means?? I only know medicine as Navy Corpsman. ;-) Thanks Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Crone

Battery voltage.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I suspect that means the positive terminal of the battery.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon