#4 piston slapping 2001 malibu

When its very cold, -20, #4 piston is slapping loudy for 3 minutes, after it stop. Car (2001 malibu LS, 3100) as 78k miles on it. do not burn any oil. Should i leave-it like this? or change that #4 piston? any suggestion?

Denis

Reply to
D. Gignac

Try taking a look at

D. Gignac wrote:

suggestion?

Reply to
mark575757

If it's only 3 minutes it's likely not worth it, especially if it's not under warranty.

When I had my 2001 Malibu diagnosed with piston slap, they said that it was still slapping after 5 minutes.

They decided to replace the pistons. Once the engine was opened up, they realized they couldn't replace the pistons becuase the #2 and 4 cyclinders where damaged from the slapping. Got a new motor for that one.

Now, I think GM won't do anything unless they slap for 15 to 20 minutes. Should my current car do that, and they won't fix it, it'll be the last GM for me...even the nice discounts I get won't bring me back if that happens.

Reply to
Brad Clarke