87 caprice

1987 chevy caprice/305 just replaced plugs and wires, cap n rotor, and rebuilt the carb. However the car will pick up speed just fine until about 20 mph then totaly loses all power and stalls out. It spits and sputters a bit right before it dies like it isnt getting any gas. This was the original reason for the carb rebuild and plug job, apparently that wasnt the problem. my only guess now is the fuel pump. Should that be my next move?
Reply to
Midget Tosser

Definitely sounds like a fuel issue, you just need to figure out if it is the fuel pump or another place along the line, or if the carburetor needs to be adjusted.

> Auto Forums

Reply to
xblazinlv

Reply to
Shep

Might be fuel pump, or fuel filter.

I had a similar problem on my old pickup, 2.8 engine. Turned out to be that the 3 year warranty spark plug wires were useless. I replaced all kinds of stuff, including the $269 carb. and finally bought a lifetime warranty set, and the truck ran again.

Lesson: When replacing parts or doing tune up, save the old parts for a month cause you might want to put em back on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

its an electronic carb and i was told that it will adjust itself. is that not true? and yes i've changed the fuel filter, thats why i was thinking its the pump. Is the pump on this car located in the tank or under the hood??

Reply to
Amber