96 2.2 Dex cool or not?

I am just getting my 1996 S10 2.2 put back together after an
unfortunate incident of bending all 8 valves. Since its apart,
drained and has a new head gasket, what about antifreeze now? Its
had Dex cool in it since it was new. Just over 100K now.
Is there any reason to stay with dex cool? What about the sealer pellets?
Bob
Reply to
Bob Urz
Are all the cooling system componets clean? Any water pump or heater core problems? If not why not Dexcool? It's done it's job for 100k. Does not matter about the sealent except that it might make you feel better... You might save a couple dollars by switching though. I would use the Dexcool.
Reply to
Edward Strauss
I'll agree with Daniel on this one. Dexcool has its advantages. Longer coolant life, easier on water pump seals. It doesn't tolerate air in the system very well though. Make sure your 'burp' the air out of the passages.
Regards, Al.
Reply to
Al Haunts
Any gasket that touches the coolant including head gaskets, the heater core (no copper, no solder), the radiator (no copper-containing alloys, no solder). Little stuff like that :-)
Reply to
Steve
I will go with regular antifreeze and no pellets. the pellets are made for leaks and the deposit on everything coolant travels and goes. Dexcool it is corrosive and in plain said a nuisances.
>I am just getting my 1996 S10 2.2 put back together after an > unfortunate incident of bending all 8 valves. Since its apart, > drained and has a new head gasket, what about antifreeze now? Its > had Dex cool in it since it was new. Just over 100K now. > Is there any reason to stay with dex cool? What about the sealer pellets? > > Bob > >
Reply to
jgalianojr

Site Timeline Threads