96 2.2 Dex cool or not?

I am just getting my 1996 S10 2.2 put back together after an unfortunate incident of bending all 8 valves. Since its apart, drained and has a new head gasket, what about antifreeze now? Its had Dex cool in it since it was new. Just over 100K now. Is there any reason to stay with dex cool? What about the sealer pellets?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Are all the cooling system componets clean? Any water pump or heater core problems? If not why not Dexcool? It's done it's job for 100k. Does not matter about the sealent except that it might make you feel better... You might save a couple dollars by switching though. I would use the Dexcool.

Reply to
Edward Strauss

Yes: Because that's the chemistry specified for this system.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I'll agree with Daniel on this one. Dexcool has its advantages. Longer coolant life, easier on water pump seals. It doesn't tolerate air in the system very well though. Make sure your 'burp' the air out of the passages.

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

...IN SYSTEMS DESIGNED FOR IT.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

So what part of the cooling system is designed for it????

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Any gasket that touches the coolant including head gaskets, the heater core (no copper, no solder), the radiator (no copper-containing alloys, no solder). Little stuff like that :-)

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
jgalianojr