S10 2.2 update ( Ian question)

I posted earlier about my 96 S10 which quit running while going down the hiway. I replaced the timing chain and it still did not run.

Got the head off. All the exhaust valves were bent. It was obvious since they were partially open and not seated. No wonder there was no compression. The pistons seem to be OK. Going to take it to a friend at a machine shop and put it back together and see what happens.

Now one questions for IAN or anyone else. I know the 2.2's had a head gasket leak problem. This 2.2 had it done once under warranty. Is there any special revised gaskets and procedure to use when changing the head gasket on one? Now that the anti freeze is drained, is there any reason to put dex cool back into it? Does it need the sealer pellets too again?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

When I rebuilt mine I looked at the updates that Jasper Engines did. They were using graphite head gaskets but they were still using the torque to yield bolts. I did the same on my rebuild about 10,000 miles ago. Still no problems yet, but 10k is hard to make a judgement call on. HTH some. By the way, mine quit running down the highway, fast lane of the interstate in downtown Atlanta. That was a fun experience. For me, it just turned out to be a fuel pump. On the pickup it is east to replace, just lift the bed off the frame a little and reach in there and replace. Lots easier than dropping the tank (I think anyway).

Tim

Reply to
Utopian Drifter

Well, one update. Took it in to my buddy at the machine shop. The exhaust valves were visibly bent and opened. The intakes looked ok. But he put it in a tank sideways and poured a liquid into the intake ports. One leaked like a sieve, the others slowly leaked down. So the intakes are no good either. He also noticed a small crack on the deck ( i could not see it). He says its not a problem now, but later in could eventually crack to the point of causing a problem.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Get yourself another head from a junk yard .. no need in taking chances again.

Reply to
clevere1