Any GM mechanic

I was at the dealership today for some warranty work and I talked with the guy that did the diagnostic work (the gauge cluster keeps dying) and he said that it didn't set off any codes so he couldn't do anything. Now, I'm pretty sure but not positive that the cluster doesn't set off any codes. Does anyone know for sure if they do? I just don't trust what that guy said since I questioned him on that and he changed from a "yes they always will" to a "they may".

TIA

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

You did not post what vehicle you are referring to but, if it is equipped with the OBD1, no codes are displayed for a gauge cluster problem. Don't know about OBD2 system. I'd look for another GM dealer, since that mechanic should know the correct procedure for dealing with your problem.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Assuming you have a cluster that is capable of generating and storing codes, it may produce between one and several codes depending on the specific application. Most GM clusters can produce at least two codes - one if it fails the internal diagnostic and another if it loses communication with the vehicle. Under certain conditions, either of these codes will illuminate the Service Vehicle Soon indicator.

My thoughts:

  1. The cluster is losing power intermittently. Could be a wiring problem, fuse, or defective cluster.

  1. The cluster is losing communication with the vehicle. Could be a wiring problem or a defective cluster.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Maxwell

Most definitely, we already have an appointment with someone else to get the problem fixed this weekend.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Those 2 codes I'd believe. Since it never set off the SVS light and most of the times after a restart it'll have all the gauges set I'm thinking it's #1. I'll find out for sure this weekend though.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

"Phillip Schmid" wrote: > I was at the dealership today for some warranty work and I talked with > the guy that did the diagnostic work (the gauge cluster keeps dying) > and he said that it didn?t set off any codes so he > couldn?t do anything. Now, I?m pretty sure but not > positive that the cluster doesn?t set off any codes. Does anyone > know for sure if they do? I just don?t trust what that guy said > since I questioned him on that and he changed from a "yes they always > will" to a "they may".TIA

Why would it matter if it is under warranty? I thought warranty meant I give you my defective item and you give it back working and don?t bore me with details. Did they at least keep the car long enough to see the gauges die?

Reply to
LeBuick

That's what I thought too but I guess I'm shown different. They put the car right back out onto the lot after looking at it and told us it was ready to be picked up.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

When we brought our 2000 Monte Carlo in to have the intake replaced under warranty, we also had them fix out non working alarm system. Not only did they change the BCM (Body Control Module for those not familiar) they also changed the instrument cluster. No codes, but somehow connected electrically. There was also no apparant problem with the cluster either.

Reply to
Eightupman

I only remember one time a dealership replaced more then we asked. The worst part though is that the guy that owns this dealership also has another one and if they couldn't find out what the problem was they'd rip the entire thing apart to find out and they'd replace it at the other place.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid