Any word on Chevy Cobalt pricing yet?

This car appears to be a nice replacement to the Cavalier. Then again, the Aveo is a nice Cavalier replacement. I'm looking into a new commuter but I keep seeing Chevy refer to the Cobalt as a ~premium~ small car. This leads me to believe that this thing might be priced out of reach for the typical shopper looking for a cheap but nicely-built grocery getter. I like the Ecotec 2.2L (our VUE has it) but a ~premium~ engine it is not. Neither is the Getrag 5 speed.

I think GM needs to consider their pricing of the Cobalt very carefully. They're going to chase away potential customers like me if they price this small car the same as an entry level Accord or Camry. I have to question the Aveo strategy altogether at this point as it seems the only place for the Cobalt to be priced (reasonably equipped) is somewhere in the 18 grand range. That leaves me out as I could buy a similarly equipped, albeit uglier, ION which is built on the same Delta platform. And I'm not about to buy an ION. Jesus, that steering wheel looks like a control wheel from a Disney Epcot attraction. But I digress.

So anyone have good inside skinny on Cobalt pricing?

McGarrett

Reply to
McGarrett

Your joking me, the Aveo is a total piece, its not even a deal at 12K.

A SVP Cavalier is 10K, absolutely no options, but its 10K nonethless.

Supposidly the SS Cobalt isn't going to be any more then 20K, the other models will probably be between 14-18K, just like the cavalier is now.

Reply to
Paradox

Actually, the Aveo is a Daewoo Kalos. It sells for $6578.00 (MSRP) at current US conversion rates in Korea. This exact same model with DOT compliant headlamps and such sells for $9995 MSRRP.

It's not a Calvalier. Not even worthy of having the Chevy name on it, IMO.

The Pontiac Vibe - that's the hot basic GM car to get right now.

The question is who makes the Cobalt. If it's a re-badged Daewoo, you are paying $3000 or so in extra markup over what they pay for it in Korea.

They will.

Now, the Vibe is basically a Toyota Matrix - which is a Corolla with a useable interior. You can have your GM/Toyota hybrid AND have your great Cavalier replacement. :)

That would be my recommendation. Personally I'd get the Matrix as it is a bit less expensive and has a better warranty.

The Aveo/Kalos is the second least expensive car I could find for sale anywhere on the web. Daewoo makes a $5000 USD model. Last I heard, dealers in South Korea weren't going broke, so a $500+ profit margin is likely built into the car, same as the Kalos.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

The Aveo - top trim model with all options, in Korea - is $9000 USD. Not $12K that Chevy resells it for. It's not a Calvalier. Sorry. We're trying to help you here. Many people are being suckered into the Aveo marketing hype.

That GM is doing this sort of thing is not making me want to recommend anything they make that's not made in the U.S.

You can get a 3-4 year old Buick Regal for about $10K last I checked, and it's a decent car.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

The rebadged Daewoo ???

Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)

Reply to
munir

The Cobalt is based off the new Chevy Delta platform, same as the Saturn Ion, which is pretty nice for a saturn. The Cobalt SS I'm trying to get alot of information for, its suppose to have a 2.0L Turbo Ecotec like some of the Saab's, which will make it a nice little Honda killer.

Reply to
Paradox

Warning! Warning! Mr. Oberlander does not like to check his facts and is an expert at twisting information...Joe do you do PR work for any politicians?

Ok. nice conversion....you are forgetting...we don't live in Korea. And did you mention it is not even the same engine in the Korean version? Please do your homework.

Sure if you don't mind having a 42,000 and 3 yr shorter powertrain warrantee on a stripped down Vibe which starts at 3-4k more than a loaded Aveo....right Joe...these people have computers...they can check these facts at pontiac.com and chevy.com.

Excuse me?who here is in Korea? You pay a ton more for a Volkswagen here then you would in Germany. So what is the point?

Better warrantee than the Vibe, yes. Better than the Aveo, not really.

Huh?...are you taking your meds?? People in South Korea make $500 a month. Figure what a month's salary means to you and figure why cars are cheap there especially when they are built there. Go check the cars for yourself and make an educated decision. Don't rely on Joe's misinformation. Use your computer to do research. I did and in my case the well equipped Aveo LS @ 164/month is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Reply to
Robert Abooey

The top-end model has the same engine. I noted that that converts to $9000 USD. Chevy is gouging a lot for the U.S. version. It's not close to a Cavalier in quality and would be a step down from one.

The OP was asking which was a good replacement for a Cavalier. That's NOT an Aveo. If he wants to get a better warranty - buy the Toyota branded version - the Matrix. Same car, same plant, same U.S. labor.

I think comparing the amount of materials and components that go into something is worth considering. $5000 in materials versus $8-9K makes a huge difference. Doubly so when it's GM/Toyota engineering versus Korean engineering.

But you be happy with your $10 Chinese carving knife. I wish you well. I'll keep the German Steel one I have.

Thou art smoking crack. The OP wanted a Cavalier replacement. The Matrix is closer to it than an Aveo.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Heh - nice quote :)

I'd take Japanese or American engineering over Korean anyday. Considering that the Daewoo also has less spent on materials, there's no way that they can do better than Japanese/American engineers with less technological expertiese and materials to work with.

The Matrix/Vibe or even a Century or Grand Am - they are decent midsize cars.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

The Cobalt is closest yet.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

"McGarrett" wrote

If you don't think that the Ecotec is a "premium" 4 cylinder engine, then you probably won't be excited about any 4 cyl engine that GM currently is using, as it's the best of the lot.

Seems to me that it's not a bad little engine at all. I suspect that it will be quite flexible, and it looks as though GM is going to offer it in a number of different configurations.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I think the Ecotec 2.2L is a great engine. GM finally has a 4 banger they can be proud of. It's a great design from both a manufacturing & ease-of-service point of view. In fact, I've never owned a car where changing the oil was so simple and un-messy. And I'll bet it's going to be a durable engine, as well. But it is a bit thrashy and doesn't seem to enjoy being revved too much, if that makes any sense. I prefer my Nissan's SR20DE 2.0L engine hands down. That little motor sings all the way to the redline. So what did Nissan do? They stopped offering it in the U.S. It just seems that the Japanese really know how to build a 4 banger. And VW lost me forever with their 2.0L piece of oil-eating garbage they dumped in our '99 Jetta. Do they still "make" these things? Worst. Engine. Ever.

BTW, I was being facetious about the Aveo being an acceptable Cavalier replacement. The Aveo in the U.S. really is, IMHO, a mistake on GM's part. If the Cobalt is going to be all that and a bag of chips then Chevy should focus on it being their only small car offering.

At least the Aveo will make for a dirt cheap used car 3 years from now. I feel bad for the folks that bought these things new. $13,000 off the lot. 1 day later $7,000 in the driveway.

McGarrett

Reply to
McGarrett

Yawn...Joe..you still have no clue...Mr. Edmunds.com. The Aveo is not in the same class as the Matrix/Vibe...I mean really...get a grip and get your facts together. And no the Korean version is NOT equipped with the same engine as the US model. In fact the Korean model has a 1.5 SOHC engine pushing about

86 hp. And if you want to compare apples to apples....when you are looking at a 17-20k vehicle...the Matrix/Vibe is not the one to get...you are in Honda Element territory...hmm..unless there is a problem with Honda...I mean you can probably get them much cheaper in Japan or something. Hey I wonder how many pesos the Matrix will cost in Mexico...oh, my bad...I don't live in Mexico either. Please check facts...please compare cars which are in the same class. Please go back to your infamous edmunds.com and read what the reviews on the Aveo are. And most importantly...please take your meds.
Reply to
Robert Abooey