Calling James Higgins

Just got back from vacation. Got the LIM gasket at a GM dealer. $75.00. GM parts direct is cheaper, but you might have to wait a couple weeks for delivery. This forum has info on the 3800 manifold problems, including some Buicks.

aluminum framed GM gasket is highly recommended by the mechsposting there. Didn't come to market until late 2005 I think.Before that Fel-Pro had a better-than-OEM gasket.I got the new Dorman plenum for about 70 bucks on Amazon. What I sawon e-Bay weren't suitable for the Bonneville or had diceydescriptions. You're probably done now, but if you have questions just ask and I'll dig up what we did. Think the 3.8 is sometimes called the Series I 3800, but there are significant differences in the engines.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

These engines were referred to as 3800 here in the USA, not 3.8 litre (even though they ARE about 3.8 litres displacement).

There have been several in the series. There was a Pre Series I (believe it or not), a Series I, Series II, and now a Series III.

The Series II was the troublesome one. It was introduced in 1994 or 1995. Officially, it was introduced in 1995, I think, but I seem to remember having found indications that it may have slipped out in some 1994 model year vehicles. There may have been some overlap.

It is a good engine except for the plenum and gasket failures.

Reply to
hls