Chevy's new boss to retire

Chevy's new boss next week is ...

Chevy's new boss to retire

The management shakeup at General Motors Co. continued late Wednesday with the surprise retirement of Chevrolet Vice President Brent Dewar, who had been appointed to lead the automaker's largest and most important brand five months ago.

He is being replaced by James Campbell, 45, who ran GM's fleet and commercial operations, and will serve as Chevrolet general manager.

Dewar, 54, was appointed to the job by ousted CEO Fritz Henderson in July after serving as GM Europe's vice president, sales, marketing and aftersales.

Dewar spent 31 years at GM and was perceived to be closely aligned with Henderson, who resigned under pressure from the board of directors last week.

"He was a Fritz guy and that can put you in some element of concern," said Rebecca Lindland, IHS Global Insight director of automotive research. "The GM-lifer stamp is not a stamp of approval. These are people whose careers are measured in decades and now the results are measured in months."

Bloomberg News reported late Wednesday that Buick GMC General Manager Michael Richards was leaving the company after eight days on the job; GM would not confirm the report.

Dewar's last day is April 1. GM said he is retiring to spend more time with his family and pursue personal interests.

The Chevrolet position is a key job because GM anticipates the brand accounting for about 70 percent of its sales.

Chevy's sales for November were 99,663, an increase of 4.8 percent from a year ago, accounting for 13.3 percent of the market. Chevrolet has arguably two of GM's most important launches next year with the Chevrolet Volt extended-range electric car and the Cruze compact.

The Volt is expected to help change perceptions about GM while the Cruze is expected to be a high-volume, fuel-efficient vehicle that gets up to

40 miles per gallon on the highway.

"Jim has a strong track record of building relationships and partnerships with dealers and customers, and deep Chevrolet experience," said Susan Docherty, GM vice president of sales, service and marketing. "His energy, drive for results and willingness to take risks are great assets for leading the growing global Chevrolet brand."

Campbell joined GM in 1988 and has been involved with launches of the Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo, Colorado and Corvette. He also has worked in field sales, retail incentives, marketing and customer-relationship management.

The move comes five days after Chairman and interim CEO Ed Whitacre reshuffled senior management.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

More truly great news. GM should be once and for all purged of all the infesting vermin which despite an enormous headstatrt over every other vehicle manufacturer led it from one of the world's largest most successful corporations in history to abject bankruptcy.

Reply to
Heron McKeister

Fire management and go non-union, replace management from outside the loser company and GM might have a chance.

Reply to
Canuck57

Kindly allow me to amend, or more correctly, clarify my statement in this sole regard: "GM should be once and for all purged of all MANAGEMENT infesting vermin ...". Labor, having (as always) no fiduciary nor managerial responsibilities, played absolutely no part whatsoever in GM's tragic, egregious and inexcusable downfall.

Reply to
Heron McKeister

The UAW could, I believe, be faulted for greed and avarice that management went along with. However the UAW had no part in the engineering and managerial screwups, of monumental proportions, that GM seemed to specialize in.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Blaming the so-called greed of those that actually supply the blood, sweat and tears that build and produce the product, pursuant to the exacting direction of management, is beyond risible, it even surpasses contemptible, it is in fact abhorrent and despicable.

Reply to
Heron McKeister

Union employees, non-union enployees, all could work for free with no benefits, yet your typical management team would squander any/all cost savings on some boondoggle project.

Yes, I'm quite cynical.

Reply to
Michael Golden

I would concur. In fact some should go to jail for operating a company fraudulently for so long. Including the financial reporting screw ups.

They sure did have a part, extorting management and shareholders. They should have been locked out 20 or 30 years ago. Today, it is simply that they cost too much and have a piss poor attitude towards their employers health of their business.

Essentially UAW/CAW is just like organized crime, supporting corporate welfare and corruption of society. When Rome started taxing producers too much to support losers, the decline of Rome was at hand. Today is no different, you can't ask society to fund bank and corporate screwups. If they can't pay their debts, OK, fire up old style debtor courts.

Reply to
Canuck57

Agreed. But with screw up in management, greed on union lines, dilberts in finance, GM was under attach by a pack of wolves arguing about who gets the heart.

Good example of the end of the corporate lifecycle. Just like business, young, innovative and flexable they grow. Hire some professional paracites like old boys CEO's and MBAs, then the unixion take more chnks... Finally the old chewed up GM dies.

Governments too go in cycles. Chinese empire, Romans, French, British... all toppled because of too much lard and governance fat and corruption.

It is now US, Canada and GMs turn. My bets are China and South America. Africa being more primevil isn't a player, they know how to go straight to corruption.

GM was screwed up right to the core at every turn.

Reply to
Canuck57

Give me a break. I figure for the brothers you lost, you losers resemble rats killing each other for the same piece of cheese. Keep knawing....

Reply to
Canuck57

That is because their predicessors sucked out so much money that was never earned. It was borrowed and borrowed and then stiffing the taxpayer. It was an inside joke 6 years ago that GM was a turkey being packaged for corporate welfare or bankruptcy.

Reply to
Canuck57

You equate collective bargaining with extortion?! You sir are not an iota shy of a certified, card carrying imbecile and nothing more than a senile reactionary spewing wholly discredited canards that so pathetically still attempt to lend credence to concepts like cadillac driving welfare mothers. As history has more than clearly demonstrated time and again, the fact of the matter is that it is the barons, bankers and bullshit blatherers (in conjunction with their purchased politicians) that continue to, as they always have, steal you blind. It most certainly and distinctly isn't the powerless laborers and not the stereotyped minorities, nor is it the largely uneducated poor that are ripping off the rest of us.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." - John Kenneth Galbraith

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." - John Stuart Mill

Reply to
Heron McKeister

Think what you want, but know there are those of out there thant thing UAW/CAW sold out fellow countryman, screwed their laid off brothers and basically killed the goose with the golden egg.

Screwing the country comes from a debt-tax levy no imposed on all citizens to bailout you sorry over paid lazy bastards. You didn't contribute enough for your pensions, so you ask those with much elss to subsidize your porker butts.

And I am not retired (yet).

Maybe that is why the neighbour, a long time Buick owner swtched this spring to a Toyota. Apparently likes it a lot. Buys a new SUV every 2 years like clockwork. Guess he couldn't patronize idiots wanting something for gross negligence and incompenatance resulting in billions of losses and more debt.

Reply to
Canuck57

If you believe that unions led to GMs demise, you've undoubtedly gone over the edge and are beyond help.

You really are one sorry, daft (not to mention illiterate) old coot.. I've never been employed by (or held stock in) any auto manufacturing concern or supplier in my entire existence.

You've certainly taken a pronounced hiatus from sanity, presupposing that your mental acuity had been otherwise.

GM has designed and built some awful crap, but that's hardly the fault or the responsibility of non-management personnel.

Reply to
Heron McKeister

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The union contracts, particular where healthcare is concerned, were certainly blamed for GM's being unprofitable. Dont tell me were were lied to Heron!

Reply to
hls

Yes, some, as they always do, inaccurately and unfairly blame others, as they have yet again in this case. How it could have escaped you I've no idea, but should you also be unaware, labor has NO SAY WHATSOEVER in how a corporation is managed. I haven't the slighest clue as to what your last character string was (or could have reasonably been) meant to imply.

Reply to
Heron McKeister

Of course labor has no real part in management. The workers are an expense, and were accused of being a prime reason that GM could not be profitable. Each car GM made had $1500 in employee healthcare costs attributed to it. Are you saying this was not true?

Reply to
hls

The charge of management is not to point fingers and blame whipping boys. Notice how they're not blaming executive salaries, vendors, neither their bad designs or other mistreatment of customers. Notice also how unionized Ford is surviving quite well, thank you very much. Perhaps you simply don't comprehend the true concept and function of management. Stop drinking the right wing Kool-Aid of blaming the lowest man on the totem pole, the worker, when management's decisions go awry. But they'll strain their limbs patting themselves on the back, each time increasing the differential in remuneration, during times of soaring profits. As Hatlo said, they'll do it every time.

Reply to
Heron McKeister

I guess I am beyond help then. I don't usually invest in unionized companies and when I do it is often shorts. Don't loose to much money that way.

It spells two problems with the company. Union slacking, podle pumping and excessive pay with poor work ethics.

And jack ass management for letting it continue, not dealing with their incompetant management for letting them in and the fiscal foul ups.

And both management and unions at GM just keep on sucking...

But you are probably a UAW/CAW wanker! They do a lot mor ethan autos. And no doubt union.

Trouble is you union basterds wouldn't take out a $20,000 mortage to bailout GM yourselves. Trouble is union bastards don't want to put their own money where their mouth is, they want other people to pay.

Pleanty sane. Just not stooping or leaching of of others to make my way. Unlike a GMer.

Which is why GM should be flushed down the toilet.

You GM nut balls don't realize be you clean the toilet at GM, or you are the CEO or anywhere inbetween, you share responsibilities to your share holders and your customers. If the buggers can't get that straight through to the bottom line, then GM should be disolved as dysfunctionally, morally and ethically bankrupt.

But GM keeps on sucking....

Reply to
Canuck57