GM sales dive 19%, led by 22% drop for Chevrolet

GM sales dive 19%, led by 22% drop for Chevrolet

General Motors Corp. sales dove 19 percent in July to 320,000 cars and trucks, according to sales data announced today.

Sales were down across each of GM's eight brands, including a 22 percent drop at Chevrolet, GM's top-selling nameplate. Truck sales were down 16 percent and cars sales fell 24 percent.

One bright spot: GM managed a 15 percent increase in retail sales to individual customers. The automaker has worked to increase retail sales while pairing back less profitable sales to rental fleets.

Year to date, GM sales are down 9 percent.

"We expected the month would provide a tough year-over-year comparison since in July 2006 industry sales were exceptionally strong and we were aggressively liquidating past model year inventories," said Mark LaNeve, vice president of GM North American Sales, Service and Marketing. "We were encouraged by our improvement versus June and the marketing actions we have takenhave put us in a strong competitive position in a challenging industry."

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Even with all its problems GM is still number one ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

For how much longer? They keep shooting themselves in the foot and if the new Malibu doesn't take off big then GM is on the express elevator down.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

What's your point, how can GM get better than number ONE

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

While I can appreciate your GM cheerleading, they are slipping. While you, and GM management, is chanting "we're number one!", they are slipping to number two. They have to reverse the trend or face consequences. I certainly hope they can do it, along with Ford and whatever Chrysler is knows as these days.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Unlike many others tend to do, I do not cheerlead any brand or manufacturer.

I simply pointed out a verifiable fact to those that like to debase brands, other than the one they prefer. Particularly those that post, or cross post, to NGs other than the brand they prefer. I don't own a GM vehicle, do you?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Twelve of my last fourteen cars were GM. Right now, I still have one of two. Would have been 2 of 2 but they pissed me off. Last week we bought a Ford F-250 for work. Could have been GM, but the Ford dealer offered a better deal with a plow package.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski