December a Mixed Month for Auto Sales

DETROIT ? Automakers ended a miserable year with a mixed December. The Ford Motor Company was the only one of the three domestic companies to report higher sales in the month.

Ford said Tuesday that its sales in the United States rose 33 percent in December from a year ago, making it the company?s best month since May

2008. Over all for the year, Ford?s sales fell 15 percent.

Ford?s cross-town rival, General Motors, said its sales declined 6 percent in December, largely because of a 55 percent drop in sales by the four brands it was shutting down. Sales were up 2 percent at the four brands G.M. is keeping: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC.

G.M. said sales declined 30 percent for the year.

Chrysler also reported a sharp yearly decline, with sales for all of

2009 falling below one million for the first time since 1962, to 931,402 vehicles. Sales were down 4 percent in December and 36 percent on the year.

Chrysler also announced more buyer incentives, including no-interest financing for almost all 2010 models.

Most other automakers said their sales increased last month. Compared with December 2008, sales were up 44 percent at Kia, 41 percent at Hyundai, 24 percent at Honda, 23 percent at Toyota, 18 percent at Nissan, 16 percent at Volkswagen, 9 percent at BMW and 8 percent at Mercedes.

Ford estimated that its market share rose 1 percentage point in 2009, to

15 percent. That would represent Ford?s first full-year share increase since 1995.

?Ford?s plan is working,? Ken Czubay, Ford?s vice president for United States marketing, sales and service, said.

Shares of Ford, the only Detroit automaker to avoid bankruptcy, reached their highest level since 2005 on Tuesday, rising 6.6 percent to $10.95. They were worth as little as $1.50 in January 2009.

Automakers expect the year ahead to be much less turbulent than 2009, when both G.M. and Chrysler borrowed billions of dollars from the federal government before filing for bankruptcy protection, though sales are expected to improve only modestly.

Sales were ?very strong at the end of the month,? said Ford?s chief sales analyst, George Pipas, an indication that the industry might enter

2010 with some positive momentum.

In another sign that better days are on the horizon, the industry?s seasonally adjusted annualized selling rate has been rising steadily for several months, ending 2009 at about 11.5 million vehicles. For all of

2009, automakers sold about 10.4 million light vehicles, G.M. and Ford estimated.

?Excluding the ?cash-for-clunkers? months, this would constitute the strongest sales rate since September 2008, suggesting the industry is witnessing a real improvement in underlying demand for U.S. autos which bodes well for 2010,? Brian A. Johnson, an automotive analyst with Barclays Capital, wrote in a recent note to clients.

G.M. projected that the industry would sell 11 million to 12 million vehicles in the United States this year, while Ford made a slightly more optimistic forecast, ranging from 11.5 million to 12.5 million.

?If things progress like they have been the last four months, we?ll probably be at the higher end of that range, closer to 12? million, said Michael C. DiGiovanni, G.M.?s chief market analyst. But Mr. DiGiovanni said G.M. would still be able to succeed if sales are at the lower end of the forecast.

?We?re planning our business for both contingencies,? he said.

The industry has considerable ground to make up before its sales will approach the levels seen only a few years ago. Sales in the United States were down 24 percent in the first 11 months of 2009, putting it on track to be the worst year in at least 27 years.

Sales would have been even more dismal but for the government?s ?cash-for-clunkers? program, which gave credits of up to $4,500 to new-vehicle buyers who turned in an older, less-efficient car or truck to be destroyed. The program, which started in late July, burned through $3 billion in about a month.

Only three automakers ? Hyundai and Kia, which are affiliated in South Korea, and Subaru ? sold more vehicles in 2009 than they did in 2008. Those companies each set new sales records in 2009.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

You should see Canada, GM has now slipped to 3rd place behind Toyota and Ford. Yep, can't help but think many over taxed Canadians decided GM bailout and corporate loser was not for them in 2009 as they already pay too much taxes.

With China now making more autos than the US, it is only a mater of time before we see a industry wide price correction in North America. This now makes GM small potatoes in the big picture.

Hey Mike, read and weap. Even Ford beat GM in Canada for December.

2010, GM will fall out of #1 in the US... tick-tock...GM is on a rock...
Reply to
Canuck57

Does that mean you believe a foreign manufacturer selling more imported cars in the US is GOOD for the US? LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling. Of course the GM sales are down, GM is down to only four brands from nine when General Motors went bankrupt.

How many cars are sold in Canada? Even if every Canadian bought a new car the total is likely to be less than what is sold in a couple of states in the US LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

It is for GM. Want to ignore what is going all around you, go ahead. But I want the pocket pickers sold off for tax recovery. It is not ethical nor fair to make the whole country pay for a bunch of GM/Chrysler/CAW/UAW losers and the scam artists pulling this on the taxpayers.

Reply to
Canuck57

Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling.

Why do you think it is "ethical" for the Japs to take the American taxpayers money and give it to the Jap auto manufactures, as they have been doing since WWII?

IF YOU want to ignore what is going all around you, go ahead. LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Hey, you want to give me money, I will take it.

Japs get a few million here and there to build plants in US and Canada that employ people.

GM gets $100+++ billion for the biggest management and policials f--k up in world corporate history and it isn't enough.

Now get you ass back to work, it is > Once again our friend Canuck57 is telling us the sky is falling. >

Reply to
Canuck57

Just like TVs.

Let Tata sell me a Nano for $3700 or less.

Bring them on....money for nothign and chicks for free....

Too bad US senate, congress and Obama think this is sustainable.

Reply to
Canuck57