Ford slipped to 4th place in sales last month

Last month, DiamlerChrysler and Toyota had more auto sales in the US last month.

And its truck sales were down, too.

Ford is also dropping production, to help clear inventories.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Well FORD shot themselves in the head and expect us the USA to bail the out. For years we have been saying.."Not everyone wants a TRUCK..", but not one listened. The Gas crunch this year really was a wakeup call. Only Ford is still sleeping because they had no cars to answer the call. Just about every other automobile company invested in cars, Ford continued to ignore that segment and focused the majority of its resources on TRUCKS. How stupid do they think we in the USA are? While the USA provided the bulk of Ford revenue, we were getting the left over, last years model, the crap, while Europe and the rest of the world got the cream, the main course. Now we talk and vote our pocket book... For the first time in 50 years, in

2007( I am the last hold out) no one in my family will own a Ford, and I am not shedding a tear.

Reply to
VB Mercon

Ford makes some good cars, like the Fusion and the 500. To say that they ignored the segment is incorrect. However, they should have paid more attention to it.

Jeff

PS, please don't top post. It makes it harder to follow a thread.

Reply to
Jeff

Who died and left you in charge?

Reply to
Bob

No one died and left me in charge. I am only making a suggestion that will make this newsgroup easier for a lot of people to use.

Thanks for asking.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Ford does make some good cars, but, they most always come to us after they have been out in Europe for years, sometimes they never make it accross the pond. While the Fusion appears new to US buyers, the car existed in Europe as the Mondeo many years ago, same for the Focus. In fact the latest Focus which is a really great-world class car is not expected to reach the US. As for the

500, how much of an improvement is it over the 1998 Taurus, one of the BEST Model year for the Taurus, except for size.. The 1998 Taurus offered the same 3.0 V6, 24 valve engine, 4-wheel disc brakes, sharp handling. While the 3.0 V6, 24 valve engine is OK for Taurus and Fusion, it is inadequate for the 500. These cars are going up against a formidable competition from Honda, Nissan, Toyota and Chrysler, even Hyundai. And don't forget the Ford cars in Australia, they are World class cars that we will can only dream about for now. Remember, people vote with their Check book, pocket book or what ever you want to call it, and the vote is going against Ford and all those other companies who think they are smarter than the average Joe.
Reply to
VB Mercon

Reply to
razz

That was the first Mondeo. It has been redesigned two times since it was first introduced. Take a trip to England, or any other European country where the redesigned Mondeo is currently sold and you will see what I am talking about. Fooled us once, shame on Ford, fooled us twice, shame on us..!

Reply to
VB Mercon

That may be your personal opinion but actually this is not the first time Toyota sales figures, for a single month, were greater than those of Ford. Toyota outsold Ford in for one month is 2005 as well, but Ford far outsold Toyota for the model year 2005. Year to date, GM and Ford are still far ahead of Toyota in total sales. Ford truck sales are down because there simply are not that many 2006 Ford truck models leftover. January will see a marked increase in Ford truck sales, as corporate fleets place their 2007 orders to replace the Ford trucks they now own.

As to Fords cars the Fusion, Milan outscore the Camry and Accord in several surveys of new car buyers. CR report more of it readers preferred the Fusion and the pointed out the reason ay be that the V6 Fusion sells for thousands less than the Camry 4cy.

As to American buyers desire for light trucks, GM truck sales were up for the month and GM sold almost as many trucks alone in November as Toyota sold trucks and cars for the month of November. For the year GM, Ford and Chrysler have sold more trucks ALONE than anything any import has for sale, cars or trucks. The best selling vehicle in the US is the Ford F150 and has been for nearly thirty years. The three top selling individual vehicles in the US are not cars, they are Ford GM and Chrysler trucks. The major portion of increased sale for Toyota and Honda, over the past five years has been in light trucks sales that includes SUVs, not in cars, as well

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are confused, the Fusion is built on a different chassis than the current Mondeo. The first version of the Ford designed chassis was used by Mazda. The Fusion currently uses a stretched, wider version of that Ford chassis.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

True, and Ford just came out with the Edge which leaves me baffled. Perhaps the see it as an upgrade for their truck based SUV buyers? Ford just can't seem to adjust to reality fast enough.

Not all is well with Chrysler, they did increase sales (probably because of the Caliber), but they have a huge inventory of large vehicles from

2006.

Also GM is gaining by selling cars from Korea, not doing much for local employees.

Reply to
who

The Fusion is a more up to date design than the Mondeo and has more interior space. For a Fusion cousin see the Mazda 6, which also comes in a station wagon body.

I had a rental '06 Focus SW in the UK last spring. I wasn't impressed. Very good space, but noisy and low gas mileage.

My friend upgraded his '96 Taurus for a '05 500. He likes the space but the 3.0L engine definitely has a bit too little power for such a large car.

Reply to
Just Facts

That explains why Ford is offering up to $5,000 back on 2006 F-150s.

Personally, unless you can provide evidence to support your contention that there are few available F-150s, I don't buy it. Let's assume that is the case, however. What does this say about an automaker whose sales are greatly down?

Aren't you the one who was saying it is the pocketbook that counts? And were more people pulling out their checkbooks for Camry's for Fusions and Milans? Or for Dodge Rams or Camries? Camries, both times.

Actually, there were more Toyota Camries sold in November than Rams. That has been occuring for at least a few months, now. In fact, according to Ward's Auto, both the Camry and Corolla/Matrix (the last two together) outsold the Ram so far in 2006 (381,570 Camries, 358,010 Corollas/Matrices,

331,302 Rams).

I don't know if this is true or not. But what you are saying is that Toyota and Honda are increasing truck sales. That's bad news for Ford and the other big 2.

What is clear is that Toyota and Honda are increasing both car and truck sales. The big 3 are decreasing sales. And they plan to lower production for next year. Toyota, on the other hand, has opened a new truck plant in Texas, only $430,000,000 over budget!

The difference between Toyota and Honda and the big 3 is that Toyota and Honda are selling cars at a profit.

The big 3 aren't making a profit, even with truck sales.

Reply to
Jeff

Apparently you do not follow buyer trends in the industry. Indeed total light truck sales in general are down, although GMs light trucks sales are currently up, the growth in the market is in AWD cars and Crossover SUVs, not cars in general and that is where Ford has put their money. The 500, Montage in 2006 and FIVE more for 2007. The 2008 Town car replacement will be AWD only, as well.

The largest percentage of growth for Toyota in the US, over the past five years has been in light trucks, not cars, in the Toyota and Lexus brands. The addition of the Scion brand has helped their car sales, however. It should be noted although the Camry is the number one selling car, the F150, Silverado and Ram sell in much greater numbers. The year that was the highest recent year for sales of the Camry, was back in 2004.

The Japs are more concerned about the new Korean stuff, that competes with them more directly, taking their market share in any event.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

This year, there were 331,302 (through Nov. 30) Rams sold, but 381, 570 Camries and 358,010 Corollas/Matrices sold. And around 300,000 Accords and Civics sold (each).

Ram is the 5th best selling vehicle this year, not 3rd.

And there are over 1 million Corollas sold each year around the world.

The sales this year appear to be close, although I doubt they will quite reach the 2004 levels.

They are also concerned about moving into other markets, like India and China.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Typical, you like to see what you want to see in what you read. What my post actually said was: "As to American buyers desire for light trucks, GM truck sales were up for the month and GM sold almost as many trucks alone in November as Toyota sold trucks and cars for the month of November.

For the YEAR! GM, Ford and Chrysler have sold more trucks ALONE than anything any import has for sale, cars or trucks. The best selling vehicle in the US is the Ford F150 and has been for nearly thirty years. The three top selling individual vehicles in the US are not cars, they are Ford, GM and Chrysler trucks."

If you think Ford as a lot of leftover trucks, do you own homework. Call a dealer and try to get a 4X4, a supercab, crewcab, F250 or a diesel ;)

Toyota, and especially Honda, truck sales are an afterthought, in full-size truck sales. The Ridgeline is no more a truck than the Subaru wagon with the cargo box

Why anybody would like to see an American Corporation, and all of the hundreds of thousands of those that make a living because of that corporation, be in trouble because of forces beyond their control, seems awfully strange to me. It is not a ballgame.

You obviously prefer Jap stuff sold by a corporations that take all of the profits out of the county tax free, and pays its workers, from the guy that sweeps the floor to the new car salesman very poorly in comparison to the domestics. That's your business, spend your money where you wish.. I bought several Jap cars in my time as well until I got smart and realized I could buy good dependable domestic brands for thousands less.

For buyers of other brands to post in another brands NGs, to get a high in their apparently dull life, does not provide a service for anybody. If Toyota ever outsells Ford or GM, good for them, but no mater how you would like it to be, one month or one model does not make or break annual sales figures. For now Toyota is still number three in the US, and most likely will remain number three for some time.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I guess your are glad GM does not combine Chevy and GMC truck sales.. You forgot about the Vibe, do they count? Toyota is going to build cars in China for export, hoping to cope with the Koreans LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

If you used your head and used inline posts, we could follow the thread much more easily.

This year, there were 331,302 (through Nov. 30) Rams sold, but 381, 570 Camries and 358,010 Corollas/Matrices sold.

Ram is the 5th best selling vehicle this year, not 3rd.

You can view the data at:

Click on "View Data." The link points to an Excel spreadsheet.

You made a claim. You back it up. You can see that I backed up my claim that there are more Camries and Corollas/Matrices sold than Rams. You can argue that Wards is not an accurate source or whatever, but at least I back up my claims.

It carries stuff and meets the needs of the costumers. If you don't think it is a truck, don't buy it.

Hundreds of thousands? It is fewer and fewer every day working for the big

  1. I don't wish to see the big 3 in trouble. But the reality is that they are.

I only perfer the truth. And the truth is that Toyota sells more Camries and Corollas (each) than Dodge sells Rams.

I would prefer that cars were cheap, that workers made tons of money, and there were tons of profits left over to pay stockholders and support the pensions of retired workers.

Please, don't attack buyers of other brands. I own a Ford. In fact, I have never owned anything other than a Ford. But that does not mean I wish to insult owners of GM or Honda, either. Nor ignore the fact that the big 3 are in big doo-doo financially, and the market in the US and overseas is changing rapidly. That is part of the market that Ford plays in.

Toyota already outsells Ford around the world. It appears that Toyota will become the world's # 1 automaker within the next year, and pretty soon will be the US's #2 automaker overall. I have seen many news reports that back this up and none which dispute this. I guess the decreasing produciton from the big 3 and the increasing production of the automakers supports this.

Reply to
Jeff

If the site did that, GM and Chevy would have more sales than the F-150, IIRC. I don't know why you would think I would be glad they don't do that. Either way, the Corrolas and Camries each outsell the Ram and have been doing that all year.

Toyota is going to build plants in lots of places, not only compete with the Koreans, but also with the Indians, Chinese, and people from other countries. The US car makers, as well as Korean and other Japanese auto makers, are also building plants overseas. THere is far more growth oversesa than there is in the US. India and China are two countries with potential for tons of growth. Other Asian countries also offer lots of growth oppurtunities. I am not sure about the growth opputunities in S. America or Africa. Unfortunately, the birthplace of man has problems with poverty and AIDS that need to be overcome before people can afford to buy enough cars to put lots of money into new car factories.

I don't know what you mean about the Vibe. I think it is a cool car, but it doesn't come with a standard transmission.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Well known as a Toyota.

Yes GM imports many Korean designed and built cars that they sell as GM cars. I expect Toyota will import what they design.

Reply to
who