Draining fuel from a 2002 Camaro

Need to drain the tank on my 2002 Z28. What's the easiest way, besides driving it?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I like to stand back a few feet and fire off a .41Mag round into it, but your choice of gun may vary.

Actually, if you need to drain it so you can replace the fuel pump, or similar work, then just drop it with a floor jack or similar and roll it out from under the car. At that point you can easily remove the fuel pump and siphon off the fuel.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mike,

I suggest you take a look under a 2002 Camaro. You have to almost remove the rear axle, and the rear exhaust system to drop the tank. Was hoping there was another way. I just need to get the fuel out.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Al, if 'adding an access panel' doesn't affect your car's value--I have an '02 with 12K miles & would not do this to mine--talk to your friendly dismantler at your local salvage yard. He should be able to help by showing you where to "cut" to access the top of your tank thru the floor above the tank, giving access for siphoning, or better yet, for replacing the fuel pump w/o removing tank. Afterwards, a neat 'patch panel' can be cut & screwed over the new hole, caulking it with body-seam putty. (An air powered chisel with a split-end, panel-cutting tip makes a neat hole.) HTH & good luck, sdlomi2.

Reply to
sdlomi2

How about disconnecting the line at/near the rail and attaching a hose into to gas can? Then jumper the fuel pump relay. Don't run the pump dry.

Reply to
Paul

In that case Al, I highly recommend the .41Mag.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Might have to try that. Wonder if I can siphon it? Or, if there is a ball valve in the filler tube like my truck has.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I see you're ignoring my earlier profound advice Al. If you're insistent on pursuing this the hard way, then I guess we'll just have to knuckle down for the work at hand.

Can you gain access to the rubber part of the filler neck from underneath, without a great deal of difficulty? If you can, then you can remove either end of it and use a decent sized hose to siphon it out. Otherwise, you'll probably be restricted to a small hose to go down through the top of the filler.

I have never tried to remove or work on the gas tank on your model car, so I don't know what the accessibility is like. I have though, pulled the tanks on many small cars - smaller than your Camaro, and access to the rubber neck tube is usually pretty straight forward.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Why are you draining it? To replace fuel pump? You mention driving it. If the fuel pump is working use the schrader valve on you fuel rail, where you would hook a fuel pressure gauge. Hook to the schrader valve and hot wire the fuel pump relay. Takes a while. Make sure you shut it off as soon as you loose fuel pressure or you will likely kill a pump. If the pump is bad and you are draining to replace you might want to do a web search. There is a quick easy method of cutting out a flap (3 sided) and doing it from the trunk. Pretty easy and its under the carpet when you are done. Seal it up good and nobody will ever know.

Reply to
David & Robin Johnson