dumped my chevy venture

Aftead 150140 miles, having persistent brake problems which culminated with having to stop with my foot to the floor, overheating, a shorting drivers side window switch, a transmission going out again, and the indigenous rusting of the rear lift points and rocket panels, I got rid of my 1998 chevy venture. I figured it was time to stop dumping money and worry into it.

Good luck GM.

Reply to
Walt

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 09:44:49 -0800, Walt fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

Wow, that must suck.

Having an 11-year-old minivan that is having a few issue.

Do yourself a favor before trolling out on usenet.

(I can't bash you too bad, because even though you're on Windows, you a least are using Firefox.)

Check the cost of a new car - including taxes and insurance. Amortize that monthly over five years.

Now take the monthly cost - including taxes and insurance - of your current minivan.

If the cost of the new car is less than the ongoing maintenance of the minivan, it is a no-brainer. Dump the minivan (give it to charity) and buy a new car.

If the cost of the new car is more than the minivan then you need to decide if you just *want* a change or not.

Reply to
PerfectReign

I am surprised ou did so well.

Reply to
Canuck57

Reply to
JimG

What did me in was my 2001 Regal. Going up the interstate in Missouri when the transmission decided to drop all power at 65mph... with a 18 wheeler behind us honking and braking....that was it's 3rd++ breakedown in 16,500 miles.

My wife would never drive it again. We hobbled into Home Arkansas where it too was 9 days to get it fixed. On the 5th day I told the dealer to quit wasting time while GM approval stalled, get me a new replacement and I would take payment up with my lawyer with Wisconsin lemon law.

Never saw them move so fast, they got someone to drive a new one down from St. Louis and still screwed up putting it in. If you hit a bump it would down shift. Had to have the console replaced when we got home.

Never did quite cover the car rental either...BS waranty.

Last GM I will ever even drive. The first thing I ask when booking a car, GM no thank-you.

Reply to
Canuck57

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:01:08 -0700, Canuck57 fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

To the OP - why was it dangerous?

IIRC, the quality of those years was questionable (I learned to drive on an '84 Cutlass.) but dangerous?

Not like the Honda Civic of the time.

So...

...other than being a fscking troll, what exactly are you doing in a GM group?

Reply to
PerfectReign

How was the Honda Civic dangerous at that time? From what I've heard, Honda was making great quality cars at the time. I'd be surprised to hear about them being dangerous.

Eric

Reply to
Eric O.

Making sure people know GM is a sucking on taxes.

I would be here if some idiot politician didn't take out massive quantities of debt for GM. Messing up customers is one thing. Usin the tax system in a marxist way to support GM to me is a moral crime. And perhaps someday people will realize it as a criminal one.

GM has not rights to taxes on peoples pay cheques. None at all. Might as well belong to the mafia as opposed to supporting government/GM for insane moves like that.

And it appears GM has ticked off more than a few.

Reply to
Canuck57

Answer to PerfectReign to understand my contempt for GM ...

I had purchased a Buick Century wagon in '84 for my wife's use so she could drive our infant children on her errands. The car's weight distribution was so poorly designed that, if the road was the slightest bit wet, the rear brakes would lock up and the rear end would fish-tail. I'm not taking about panic stop situations but even casual use to slow down in traffic. I had to put eight cinder blocks in the way back to add some weight over the rear end until I could get rid of this dangerous GM POS.

Reply to
JimG

The body rust, along with the abs system problems (needed to replace a sensor because the wiring got severed, and then also fix the connecting wiring harness), the abs controller acting up, the internal leak of the master cylinder, a ghost antifreeze leak, morning upper engine noise, leaking weatherstripping, the rusting of the body which would lead into the subframe, the shorting window switch (which caused me to disconnect them), a broken passenger side power mirror, a broken spare tire hoist, acorroded wheels which caused the tires to leak, needing another transmission rebuild (or replacement), basically said get rid of the thing.

Reply to
Walt

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 06:21:48 -0700, Canuck57 fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

IIRC, they're paying it back already.

It is spelled, checks. :P

So, what does that have to do with questions about cars?

Seriously, this is usenet. I expect fucktards to show up in various goups, but things are being pushed here.

Reply to
PerfectReign

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 21:54:23 -0800, Eric O. fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

There was an article I read a couple of years back, when gas prices were in the $5.00/gallon range.

One analyst mentioned the '80's honda civic, which got something like 40 MPG.

However, they said it got such mileage because it saved weight by not having an airbag, no crumple zones and very light sheet metal.

He went on to say, that he'd not want to get in even a small fender- bender while driving one of those.

This was in comparison to the current Civic which is considered much more safe. (However, I think I've driven over a few in my truck but I don't really know.)

Reply to
PerfectReign

Sounds like a defective proportioning valve. Pretty easily fixed.

Reply to
Dave

ep, I do too, Mike and Reign in the donkeys.

Reply to
Canuck57

hmm..

As a side note, the thing about air bags is interesting, because I didn't think airbags were very common back then anyway. I seem to remember airbags becoming a lot more widespread in the late 80s to early

90s.

Eric

Reply to
Eric O.

I had one, an '80, got it used in '94 with 46k miles on it from a old lady who bought it new. It was a Civic wagon . Bought it for a beater for $400 What a POS, a beer can on wheels. 1.5 L CVCC 56hp with a 2 speed Hondamatic, top speed 80mph. My '64 beetle felt safer but not as quick. LOL Paint had peeled off to the primer, interior plastic cracked and seat fabric was just disintegrating. CV joints were bad by 60k. Gave it away after 2yr, I think the circus has it for a clown car. Any 70's US car was far superior than that POS, even a AMC Matador from the '70's. (another story)

.
Reply to
Repairman

MB was putting in air-bags in the 80s, and other high end makers were starting. It was not until the early 90s that they became more common in cars.

Reply to
PeterD

GM first put air bags in cars as a option in 74 or 75 didn't have many customers buy it. the cannister for the air was huge and mounted behind the dash. I saw a demo at the tech center in 73

Reply to
Tom

Canadian it's not.

Reply to
gordow

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 08:31:08 -0800, gordow fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

Oh, I'm sorry - I didn't realize you were writing in Candadian.

I speak Canadian, eh.

Reply to
PerfectReign