From the Detroit Free Press

Made in the U.S. important to Gen Y buyers

  • See related article

You buy a Ford, GM, or Chrysler product the money stays in the US. You buy a foreign brand, that country is where your money (around 80% of it) ends up. Do the math. Import buyers will mostly find a way to weasel out an excuse to back their foreign purchase. Keep the money in America, or assist in destroying her industries.

Reply to
Tom

"Import"/transplant buyers support American workers paying taxes here-as do the companies that employ them. Yea, buy Chinese GM Buick and Mexican GM trucks. Rah, Rah GM.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

The article was from the Detroit News, not the Free Press.

Note the 3rd paragraph, "...regardless of what brand...". That means Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Ford. Do try to pay attention, there will be a test.

Made in the U.S. important to Gen Y buyers

Gen Y is conservative in its approach to buying a new car, a new national poll by Deloitte has found.

The survey found most of these 20-somethings, 60 percent, don't seek advice from social media and in fact rely heavily on information from the automakers.

And more than half say it is important that the car or truck they are considering be made in the U.S., regardless of what brand it is.

And these prudent shoppers are three times more likely to buy a used vehicle than new.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Oh I pay attention I didn't post the whole article to see what kind of response it would get. foreign companies do make products in this country, but what is an American built auto

If a American supplier buys all the parts from India and assembles them into another product and then sells it to Toyota is it Still American made.

If a car is designed in another country is it still American made.

If the tooling is designed and built in another country is it still American made.

There billions of dollars spent on autos outside of the assembly process. and 10s of thousand of jobs and we are losing all of them

Reply to
Tom

You would have to do a comprehensive value chain calculation to know what is really going on, but you will find that all the ex big three were shuffling designs, motors, parts, etc from foreign countries in and out of the USA.

Obama's policies have cost us, the taxpayers, US$240,000 for every job that was created in the USA but we are still losing jobs and the unemployment rate was quoted yesterday as being 17.3%.

When a person is holding a decent job in the USA, I can well imagine that he does not carp because the check is on Toyota, or Hyundai, or Volkswagen. And the GM ex workers might be very happy to get the opportunity to work for SOMEBODY.

It is a big mess, I'll admit.

In this particular group, it is obvious to everyone who can read, think, and comprehend that GM pooped it's own nest. Whether they will survive is moot. They probably dont deserve it, but it might be best for the USA..."might"

Reply to
hls

At that rate you will be vying with Mikey for "King of the Loonies".

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Just because something is ASSEMBLED in the US does not make it American, simply American assembled.

Search the US Department of Commerce site and you will discover which manufactures assemble the majority of cars and truck they sell in the US, with greatest percentage of US parts and MATERIALS, in the US.

The ONLY foreign manufacture that comes even close to GM, Ford and Chrysler is HONDA. Well over 50% of what Toyota sells in the US is made outside of the US and the majority of the cars and trucks that they DO assemble in the US, are assembled from parts and materials from outside the US.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Obviously you were not an Economics major LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

my ref is to made in America

Reply to
Tom

More GM bullshit. Is it the GM Aveo that is 100% made offshore?

How about all those imported parts? In fact some Toyota and Honda vehicles have more NA content thant does GM in the competing line.

GM is just a huge blood sucker on the taxpayers wallet. Government slapped over $100 billion (and growing) debt onto the taxpayes nation wide for this turkey GM business model. Governments saddled Americans and Canadians coast to coast with about $60,000 in debt for each GM made in 2009.

We taxpayers should be mad as hornets in a bad mood for this pervesion going towards our wallets.

Their motto should be "Government Motors, we keep on sucking.".

People are buying more Fords as not to support GM nonsence and corrupotion of the tax system for dysfunctional and greedy corporations.

Reply to
Canuck57

And you mean like the GM Aveo? LMAO.

Why do you support a corporation using the tax system saddling more debt on the public coast to coast? Are you a debt monger? Or do you believe people should pay taxes to banks and GM?

Reply to
Canuck57

What are we to do? Pay GM at a loss of $60,000 per auto and more to keep building what people are not buying? Maybe pile them up on the Whitehouse lawn until congress raffles them off or something?

And since most people have nothing to do with auto, why should they have to pay for it? What gives corrupt auto like GM the right to pick the public purse increasing debt to the taxpayers hat have zero to do with auto?

Maybe if GM wants a tax on workers, we should have a 35% surtax on CAW, UAW and auto workers wages until the debt is paid.

Let autos go offshore, they can make them and cost us all a whole lot less both in cost and in taxes.

Reply to
Canuck57

There is a hidden cost to bailing out GM supporters will not talk about.

When taxes go up and/or governemnt servicces go down to support Obama's debt-bailout spend, everyone is going to have less to spend net of taxes sooner or later. Less spending means less jobs for those supplying services. The lower standard of living may come in some combination of inflation without wage increases, increased taxation but it is a coming.

So in a city say in Montana with no GM, everyone kicks in $1000 a year on average to more taxes because of bailouts. That is money not spent in their communities employing their people. So you end up laying off accross the nation in effect distributing the layoffs at best. Politicians like it as laying off 2, 3, 10 here and there everywhere isn't making the front pages.

Then with dragging the whole country in, a flattening of wage expectation hits everyone. Companies lay off 50+ making good wages and hire them back next door for 1/2. They can get away with it in this ultra high unemplyment scenario.

Yep, this is just like a class room of 30 kids, and one is being a real ass hole. Instead of kicking him out of the game, we have to pander to the shit disturber. GM needs to be kicked out of the game so the rest of the class can move on.

Reply to
Canuck57

But, but , but you said you buy your cars from foreign corperations. LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I can assure you the next one I buy will contain little if any of GM/GMAC/Chrysler/Carlyle/Cerberus/CAW/UAW parts and no assembly.

See, I d> But, but , but you said you buy your cars from foreign corperations. LOL >

Reply to
Canuck57

How does your purchase of another used car every five years or so help GM/GMAC/Chrysler/Carlyle/Cerberus or the CAW/UAW? LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Shows how dumb and assumptious you are. All you can be sure of is that I do not drive GM new or used, rental lease nor own.

I don't stoop to support the imoral and greedy corporations of Amerika.

Remember this? It still applies. _ /'_/) ,/_ / / / /'_'/' '/'__'7, /'/ / / /" /_\ ('( ' /' ') \ / '' _.7' \ ( \ \ GM, Chrysler-Cerberus, CAW-UAW, get your selfish greedy hands out of our pockets! We don't steal from you! Why do you steal from us?

Reply to
Canuck57