G.M. to Make a 60-Day Money-Back Offer

DETROIT ? In an all-out effort to restore confidence in its products, General Motors will offer a 60-day, money-back guarantee on all its vehicles beginning on Monday, according to people involved in the company?s plans.

As part of its marketing campaign, G.M.?s new chairman, Edward E. Whitacre Jr., will be featured as the company?s spokesman in a new television commercial designed to lure consumers back to the company?s showrooms.

The commercials, which feature the slogan ?May the Best Car Win,? will make their debut on national television on Sunday. Mr. Whitacre, the former chairman of AT&T, will make a direct appeal to consumers to try G.M. vehicles ? and return them after 60 days for a full refund if they aren?t satisfied.

?We?re putting our money where our mouth is,? Mr. Whitacre says in the commercial, according to people who have seen the campaign.

The ?Satisfaction Guaranteed? program is thought to be the first time that a major automaker has offered a full refund on a vehicle after it has been sold. The program will cover all of G.M.?s core American brands ? Cadillac, Buick, Chevrolet and GMC ? and run through November.

The money-back program was conceived by G.M. executives and its board as a dramatic way to promote the quality of the company?s product line after its emergence from bankruptcy in July.

There is no mention in the ad campaign of the $50 billion in taxpayers? dollars that provided G.M.?s financial bailout this year, or the fact that the federal government owns 60 percent of the company.

Instead, the campaign and money-back promotion is an attempt to focus attention on G.M.?s cars and trucks.

Mr. Whitacre, 67, has said that G.M. must halt its slide in market share in the United States. The company, which once held a 50 percent share of the market in the 1960s, has a 19 percent share so far this year.

The use of Mr. Whitacre as a spokesman is reminiscent of Lee Iacocca?s ads in the 1980s as chairman of Chrysler, when he coined the slogan ?If You Can Find a Better Car ? Buy It.?

Those ads helped Chrysler rebound after the company needed federal loan-guarantees to stave off bankruptcy.

Other automotive executives have appeared in ads with less success. In

2006, Chrysler failed to jump-start sales with advertisements featuring DaimlerChrysler?s chief executive, Dieter Zetsche.

G.M. declined to comment today in the upcoming advertising campaign or the money-back promotion. The automaker?s board officially approved the campaign this week.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

it's a fairly good confidence inspiring measure, although I wonder how it would work with insurance, minor dings, paint chips and such, not to mention those will try to work it to borrow a new car- but I can see a number of guys going home with a new caddy or something "to surprise the wife"- gm is gambling a lot because if the returns become so great they have to discontinue the program, it will be a legacy hard to lose

Reply to
raamman

Looks like GM is desperate. Probably running out of storage room for unsold GMs. But a couple of bogus statements below.

I would read the fine print real carefully.

Funny, Walmart, Sears, Costco all take back defective products like this.

Only $50B? Did that include Canada's $13B or the $20B recently sent to GM blood sucking? And you know it doesn't include the clunkers program or Chrysler. Not even the other business that dealt with GM and are now bankrupt corporate welfare recipents.

Taxpayers should wish this only cost them $50B.

They already slide as many view that they do not support GM blood sucking by purchasing their products. Quoting averages does sound better than August numbers.

Chrysler didn't stave off bankruptcy. They went bankrupt and were sold off. Hell, they are not even an "American" controlled corporation any more. Chrysler now reports to Europe.

GM is now selling off it's parts to raise cash. LOL, tick-tock - tick-tock ....as they are still loosing gobs of cash. I would love to see where all these tax dollars really wind up.

Reply to
Canuck57

Desperate???? Maybe. Or merely finally deciding to take on the Japanese nameplates head-on, like they should have done about 20 years ago.

Maybe this is how they should market this plan.

"GM" products are better than anything Japan offers. Gets better gas milage. Are more reliable. Have more horsepower. Looks better. Now we are going to put our money where our mouth is. Try one of our products. If you don't like it, return it in 60 days.

Tell Japan to put up or shut up.

Please tell Consumer Reports to do the same.

Agreed. Always read fine print. It is in fine print for a reason.

Of course, Walmart, and the likes, dont sell a whole lot of $25000 dollar products that are defective, do they, unlike Toyota, who recall more of those "defective products" than they sell?????????????

The taxpayers money is gone, nothing can be done about this. We are probably in agreement on this issue. Tax dollars should never be used on a private company.

Unfortunaltey, that is over and done. Those dollars are gone, no matter if GM suddenly becomes profitable again.

Chrysler has been reporting to Europe for a whole lot of years now. Didn't some European auto company buy them out back in the

90's??????????????

Reply to
jr92

Once again you are wrong, "GM" is not selling off anything!

The bankruptcy court is selling off the "General Motors" assets, Pontiac, Hummer, Saturn and the old plants, however

Reply to
Mike

Somehow I don't think the Japanese are too worried about GM.

Maybe this is how they should market this plan.

Of all the vehicles I have owned, the Japanese, and I mean real Japanese as imports off a boat were the two best. The worst were a Olds Firenza and a Chrylser Minivan. Given how many parts With GM former customers, unpaid suppliers, pissed off bond holders and a pletoria of other unpaid creditors, pension fund value drops for GM, corporate tax grab welfare for the corrupt, GM has really tainted their brand image and may take a generation or two to repair.

They don't have too. I will not buy Detroit if they were the last auto makers on the planet or more that 50% below current costs with a quality improvement.

Yep, compare their articles 4 years ago to todays used articles. They are useless. You are much better off to go out to a streat corner, and simply watch what others are driving and buying.

It shouldn't have to be in the fine print. I see fine print and know it isn't for my good. I like honesty and simplicity myself. Too bad those with fine print look at customers like the enemy, advisaries to sucker punch.

Yep, like GMers before bankruptcy are getting the problems fixed, NOT. Hell, one of the reasons GM went bankrupt was to duck their promises and pending liabilites and lawsuits. Take the manifold issue... at least Toyota is fixing the few issues they do have. GM just lets the customers eat it.

True, but there is an old saying, don't throw good money after bad. And GM is again out of cash. Yep, look at last quarters losses. Then look at how poorly they did on clunkers and August sales. Then add in Opal isn't being sold because GM has cash....

GM is going to come back for more taxpayers debit and taxation servatude for corrupt corporations of America. If you stand for decency, you wouldn't buy these products.

And even the supporters of GM bailouts, will not ask big mouth Obama where the money went, and I mean right to end, who got it and what did it go for. Be it $50B or $100, you know as sure as the sun rises it didn't go to workers wages.

Not really.

Taxpayers still have to pay interest and taxes to fund the Obama debt-corruption bailout. And people like me, are not going to shut up and pay it without a fuss.

Reply to
Canuck57

Read. It said General Motors Co., not Motors Liquidation Co. A fancy trust move to screw creditors placed Opal in GM.

Reply to
Canuck57

Opel is merely taking on a partner al'a Chrysler and Fiat. Referring GM as "General Motors" is in error in that article.

"General Motors" assets such as Saturn and Hummer are being sold as well. The NEW company, GM not "General Motors," will build Saturns for Rodger Penske.

Pontiac is still in limbo but Hummer will be built by American General, including a new Jeep like H4. GM, is not involved other than in supplying the chassis.

Reply to
Mike

We will see. So much creative accounting still going on at Government Motors who knows how this will pan out. But we know it will cost the taxpayers plenty.

Reply to
Canuck57

GM owned the NAME Hummer. American General has always built them. From the H1 up. GM supplied the base chassis for the H2 and H3 as well as some interior parts. The only change will be that the name will transfer to American General.

Pontiac is gone from GM. Not really a bad thing since they were simply rebadged vehicles in the first place.

Penske picked up the Saturn name and one plant so far. I think he is hoping to build a limited production vehicle.

In the long run I think the new GM will be much stronger. They really had far more brands and dealers than they ever needed. If you look at all the brands they have always had the most individual "makes"

Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, GMC Truck, Saturn, Hummer

As opposed to Ford, Lincoln, Mercury

or Chrysler, Plymoth, Dodge, Jeep

And when you look at them what do you find. Chevrolet Trucks = GMC Trucks with different badges. BOP = 99% rebadged Chevrolets with some extra options. Cadillac - Some great engineering but they should have stayed true to the badge instead of offering some rebadged GM sedans. Saturn - "A new kind of car company" with a sales model that was going to fail from the start.

Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, have there own share of problems BUT they are also a much smaller company. Less overhead and fewer dealers cuts down on the money drain.

As for the Chrysler group. They have always been an "also ran". About the ONLY products that kept them afloat were the Ram, Caravan and Neon.

Considering that the Caravan has been based on the original K-Car and the Neon is a downsized version of the same chassis design.....

Reply to
Steve W.

You keep saying that, but GM also loses more money than any other manufacturer. So, what's the point of making more if you lose more?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

To what creative accounting are you referring???

Reply to
Mike

Accounting in government is a farce. Everyone knows it.

Reply to
Canuck57

How do you figure that Steve?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Desperate???? Maybe. Or merely finally deciding to take on the Japanese nameplates head-on, like they should have done about 20 years ago.

********* It is an interesting ploy, which will appeal to a special segment of society. Even on GM products, the quality issues dont normally become evident in 60 days. And the fine print could well be a bitch.

Agreed. Always read fine print. It is in fine print for a reason.

******** You might not be in the targeted population for this sort of sales promotion, then.

Chrysler has been reporting to Europe for a whole lot of years now. Didn't some European auto company buy them out back in the

90's??????????????

********* Yeah, some European company bought into this mess. Daimler Benz.. Maybe you have heard of them. Even they couldnt make Chrysler work, so cut them loose. Guess who is the proud owner of Chrysler now.

Reply to
hls

How did you come to that conclusion?

Reply to
Mike

And they still can't make a profit. LOL

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The fine print seems rather straightforward. But keep in mind, if you die, you don't get your money back. Yes, its in the fine print.

What is Not Covered Under This Agreement: This Agreement does not apply to and will not provide payment if:

a.. You do not meet all the qualifications contained in this Agreement; b.. Your vehicle is purchased under the GM Company Owned Vehicle Purchase Program (GMU); c.. Your vehicle purchase is part of a fleet sale or commercial sale; d.. Your vehicle is registered to a business, corporation, partnership, utility, federal, state or local government, rental car company or any other organization; e.. You return an Eligible Vehicle and repurchase a vehicle you traded-in when you purchased the Eligible Vehicle; f.. You trade in an Eligible Vehicle and then repurchase it later; g.. Your vehicle was a dealer demonstrator or other dealer owned vehicle; or h.. You die.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What is you point? Toyota is not making a profit either and they sell fewer vehicles in the US than GM

Reply to
Mike

Got no laughter, so I'll tell you that Chrysler is now bedded down with FIAT (Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino).

Fiat cars have been despised and degraded for decades. They have, or at least HAD, a terrible rust problem, plus all other idiosyncrasies that can be heap upon the culture, ancestry,and morals of the Italian people. BUT, they also own Ferrari which is one of the most technologically advanced cars in the world, beautiful, tough, and darn expensive.

And, I have owned a couple of Fiat cars and they were much better than they were given credit for being.

Can Fiat turn a pig into a silk purse? Not likely.

Reply to
hls