Gas Prices Hit $4 In California

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The American Automobile Association of California says some drivers are now paying $4 a gallon for regular unleaded gasoline.

Crude oil prices hit an all-time high Wednesday, above $98 a barrel and analysts say with worldwide oil demand rising -- it is still not clear just how high prices will go.

In Salinas, AAA recorded an average of $3.39 per gallon. Santa Cruz is at an average of $3.37 per gallon.

KSBW checked and found gas in Gorda, south of Big Sur, is even higher. Drivers there are paying $5 for gas.

Over the past two weeks gas has gone up 15 cents in California alone, according to AAA.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

California

Fortunately the price of the dollar is going down so it does not matter as much.

Soon the oil trade will be in Euros

It is very interesting to look at the dollar trend

it is particularly interesting to look at the chinese rate
The chinese are slowly selling their US assets and moving over to Euro

Reply to
Gosi

The falling dollar means it will matter FAR MORE to Americans, less to Europeans.

Hussein wanted payment in Euros, not Dollars - as much as anything else to piss off the Bush regime. He succeeded.

Reply to
HLS

I mean no offence, but here in Ontario we are currently paying over $1.02 a LITER.

Reply to
80 Knight

In Europe usual price is over $2 a liter - I guess that is something like $7 or $8 for a gallon.

The price has been very high in Europe for many years so we have learned to live with high oil price and been moving over to leaner cars.

Because the current price hike has been offset by a lower dollar it does not matter that much to us now.

Reply to
Gosi

No offense taken...The Canadian dollar used to be far weaker against the US dollar than it is now, I believe.

The people here in the contiguous 48 seem to continue to believe that it will all even out, and oil will go back down. But when your dollar is in the dumper, the future is not as encouraging. We never learn anything the easy way.

Reply to
HLS

on Sunday 11 November 2007 11:38 pm, someone posing as Gosi took a rock and etched into the cave:

Of course you Europeans don't have to pay for private medical insurance AFAIK. Even with my cushy government job, I pay about $6000/year for health insurance for me and my family.

IIRC, the "price" of gas you pay per liter includes many subsidies which we don't have.

Come on over and visit!!

Reply to
PerfectReign

Do you know the greatest part about the Canadian dollar being higher then the US dollar? Not much. Out of all the stores I visit, I have yet to see any price difference. We still pay more for the exact same product/food then you guys do. The only thing we can do is go to the US and get better prices, but not every is close enough to make that a valid option.

Reply to
80 Knight

I have been over and the more I came for a visit the less I liked it and have more or less stopped.

I know you pay a lot of inurance which is good until you need it then you really need to be rich in order to get some of it back.

The high prices of oil in Europe have nothing to do with medical insurance. The taxes are used to improve communication systems and encourage people to go for alternative means of transport like better economy cars or trains.

US car owners will be going through that learning curve much steeper than what we have had to do.

Reply to
Gosi

I paid for my European health care via 52% income tax. Which, really, is not so bad. Compared with American taxes, this included my health care, retirement, income tax, etc....So it wasnt a bad deal.

The good part of it is that the health care is not restricted by American style insurance companies which wont pay, which wriggle out of their responsibilities.

Reply to
HLS

Not so different from here. We can go to Mexico for cheaper meds, surgery, dental, and even some food items. Other than that, we patrol our petrol usage, we garden a good bit, and we buy what we need, not what our peers may have.

The average family here owes a ton of money on credit cards, cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel. Many have not accepted they are even in a tunnel.;>)

Reply to
HLS

Problem is that they have turned off the light at the end of the tunnel

Reply to
Gosi

It wasn't cost efficient to leave it on with no one looking at it.

Reply to
Tim J.