GM in Canada

GM in Canada hits bottom. Lowest share in recent history. While small, even Chrysler is outselling GM!!!

I wonder why, could it be:

- poor reputation for quality?

- people don't like GM taxing us for their ineptness?

- caused a lot of other good companies/workers debt grief?

- price gouging?

- past bad experiences?

------------

Canadian auto sales up 14.1 percent, Ford on top Reuters April 01, 2010: 05:58 PM ET

(Refiles to broaden distribution)

  • Ford takes No. 1 spot, followed by Toyota, Chrysler

  • Sales up 15 percent so far in 2010

  • GM falls to lowest share in recent history

By John McCrank

TORONTO (Reuters) - Canadian auto sales rose for a fourth month in March, with Ford taking the sales crown and General Motors Co, until recently the market leader, dropping out of the top three.

Canadians bought 145,428 vehicles last month. That's up 14.1 percent from a year earlier, according to data from DesRosiers Automotive Consultants Inc.

"A very good month even by historical standard," said Dennis DesRosiers, president of the firm.

"This puts YTD (year to date) sales up 15 percent and sets Canada on track for a 1.55 to 1.6 million sales year."

Ford sold 22,018 vehicles in March, up 29.1 percent from a year earlier. Car sales rose 19.4 percent and trucks gained 32 percent.

Ford was the only one of the Detroit-based auto companies not to go into bankruptcy protection during the recession, relying on financing it arranged before the downturn.

"The easiest thing that a manufacturer or anyone can do during a downturn is draw back in terms of your investments," Ford of Canada Chief Executive David Mondragon said in an interview. "We didn't do that, we had our resources in place to continue to invest aggressively and the benefits of those investments are coming to market today."

"If you look at our market share as a company, right now we are the number one manufacturer in Canada for the first quarter with sales up 29 percent."

Sales at Toyota Canada rose 24.5 percent to 19,792 vehicles even as its executives were called to testify in front of Canadian lawmakers during the month.

The company was accused of taking too long to inform the the government of safety problems that led to a massive recall earlier in the year. Canada's transport minister said his department would launch an investigation into the matter and consider toughening disclosure laws.

The automaker's Toyota division reported a 27.2 percent rise, while its luxury Lexus brand dipped 4.4 percent.

Chrysler sold 19,470 vehicles in the month, up 22.2 percent. Its passenger car sales fell 18.6 percent, while truck sales jumped 34.2 percent.

GM sales dropped 22.2 percent to 19,433 vehicles. Car sales were down

22.8 percent, while truck sales fell 22 percent.

DesRosiers called GM's decline "shocking."

"This puts GM's market share YTD at an all-time record low, at least for the modern history of the automotive sector, of only 14.7 percent to the end of March. You would have to go back to the period between 1915 and

1919 to find GM's market share below 15 percent," he said.

Honda Canada posted a 15 percent March sales increase to 14,389 vehicles. Sales in the Honda division gained 11 percent, while the Acura division was up 51 percent year-on-year.

Reply to
Canuck57

wow- that IS something. I might have missed that report so thanks for posting.

question: are most gm canadian made cars bound for the us ? who has to worry more, the workers in the states or the guys in the shops in cunuckistan ?

Reply to
raamman

Doesn't mater to me one bit, just want GM out of my pocket. But I guess, CAW aught to worry. If CAW wants my pity when the hammer falls they will not get it from me. Selling out fellow working taxpayers like this makes UAW/CAW scum bags in my books. Companies like GM need to be told to f--- off when they put their hands out looking for bailouts. No gold medals for losers.

Surprised Mike Hunter hasn't made his usual chirp "the sky is falling", it is for GM.

Reply to
Canuck57

it's not for the assembly line workers I ask, but the t&d parts industries that depend on gm; those people aren't union, nor so well paid compared to everyone else

Reply to
raamman

If GM died, others like Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Hoonda, Nissan, BMW would have ordered more parts. If you were like Magna or JCI, Ford might order more parts for the ones GM isn't making.

What union idiots should ask, if if GM keeps 100 people going on billions of corruption welfare, it is likely their crap undercusts a Ford sale, so Ford lays them off instead. Since a supplier likely sells seats to both, the shipping address and the ability to pay is what is different.

People in the parts supply business, did they get the GM bailout? Nope, as it was about flushing a lot of cash to the Carlyle and Cerberus back ends.

A lot of BS lunch bucket appeal BS. Helps sell the corruption of using the tax system for private business to banks to autos.

If people are not buying more, parts suppliers are not going to ship more. That is the fact of the mater.

Reply to
Canuck57