GM Seek Tax Break to Lower the Chevrolet Volt's $40,000 Expected MRSP

At $40K or more there is no way normal people could afford to buy the Volt. GM must be intending for the Volt to be DOA at that price unless they get their welfare from Congress. Volt=EV-1=DOA

GM Seek Tax Break to Lower the Chevrolet Volt's $40,000 Expected MRSP

The Chevrolet Volt could arguably be the most important model in GM's history, but the high development and production costs are driving the base price for the model skywards. A price of $40,000 is currently being suggested by sources close to the project, but considering its chief rival ? the Toyota Prius carries a base MRSP price of just $21,500, those boys in Detroit have got a challenge ahead of them.

In order to battle this extreme price, GM will look for a bit of help from the US taxpayers by requesting for Congress to create a new tax credit for "extended-range electric vehicles" which would include the plug-in Volt. This could knock off up to $7,000 off the sticker price and put it back in the price range of the average joe.

Sources have stated that initial sales will be between 10,000 and 30,000 units in the first year which is likely to grow exponentially after the first few years once production is in full flow. If the Volt is an out and out success there is a very real possibility of worldwide sales topping 500,000 per year by around 2015 as consumers look to avoid the sky-high fuel prices.

Originally displayed in concept form at the 2007 Detroit Auto Show, the Chevrolet Volt is powered by an electric motor running off lithium batteries which can run for about 40 miles, after which the batteries are recharged by a small gasoline engine or can be plugged in to an electrical outlet.

The image above shows the original teaser image of the production Volt which was released late last year and check out the additional images on the right for the concept version.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Lamborghini and Bentley should get tax breaks too, so I can afford to buy one of those too. After all, they would be good for my self esteem so they are NEEDED.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

//tinyurl.com/4yowha

So selling Volt for $20.000 each and get $20.000 from the government for each would save GM?

Lets say they sell 1.000.000 cars that way. That would mean $20.000.000.000 from taxpayers to pay for GM managers bonuses

Prius has sold 1.000.000 cars without these kinds of funding.

Why does not GM just close down and let the government pay the managers? Why bother producing cars?

Reply to
Gosi

So selling Volt for $20.000 each and get $20.000 from the government for each would save GM?

Lets say they sell 1.000.000 cars that way. That would mean $20.000.000.000 from taxpayers to pay for GM managers bonuses

Prius has sold 1.000.000 cars without these kinds of funding.

Why does not GM just close down and let the government pay the managers? Why bother producing cars?

Try reading it again. That isn't what the article suggests at all.

But with your limited comprehension I am not surprised that this is how you understand it.

Reply to
Scott

So selling Volt for $20.000 each and get $20.000 from the government for each would save GM?

Lets say they sell 1.000.000 cars that way. That would mean $20.000.000.000 from taxpayers to pay for GM managers bonuses

Prius has sold 1.000.000 cars without these kinds of funding.

Why does not GM just close down and let the government pay the managers? Why bother producing cars?

"Why does not Gosi" piss off?

Reply to
80 Knight

It is not unusual for normal people in other countries to purchase cars that seem quite expensive to the American. They pay more and longer.

In cases like these, quality, durability, and economy are foremost in the buying decision. Those cars have to last for a goodly number of years at reasonable service costs.

Cars are not traded every few years, although companies may well lease cars for their middle and upper executives.

Whether the traditional American lifestyle will continue to support the automobile culture we have had in the past remains to be seen. Gasoline at over $4.00 per gallon shocks and frightens people, but it CAN go much higher.

I dont want to sound like a prophet of doom, but we may find that considerable corrections will have to be made in our American lifestyle.

Reply to
HLS

Part of the problem are the distances involved in this country. An example I've used before is that you can drive 800 miles in one direction in California and still be in the State of California. Drive 800 miles in one direction in Europe and you go through 5 different countries. We became a car-oriented society because of the sheer size of our continent. Also, one need only stand on a freeway overpass and notice how many of the cars passing have ONLY one person in them.

Reply to
Jeff W

Everything you say is very true..In many foreign countries, the high cost of owning and maintaining an auto is offset by having effective and reasonably competitive public transportation systems.

We dont have a good national network of public transportation, nor would people use it anyway if they can use their automobiles more cheaply.

Air travel has been a real bargain for us, but it out of the reach of some people. The train is a joke. Buses are not much cheaper than air travel in many cases. I dont know where we are heading, but it is going to get more expensive to get there.

Reply to
HLS

Amen to that!

Reply to
Jeff W

When one considers ALL if the Prius' on the lot a one local Toyota dealer have a sticker price of around $27,500 or more and the dealers are adding smoke and mirror packages of $1,500 to $2,000, a Volt at $40,000, three years for now, does nto seem out of line.

Why should the US taxpayer NOT help GM, an American federal tax paying corporation, to get the Volt sales up and running? Don't for get the feds were subsiding Prius sales with a rebate since day one, to help the sales of an imported car sold by Japanese corporation that does not pay a penny in US corporate income taxes.

Reply to
Mike hunt

What is the color of the sky in your world? Prius had a federal tax credit from day one. In additon some states offered a rebate, as well.

So selling Volt for $20.000 each and get $20.000 from the government for each would save GM?

Lets say they sell 1.000.000 cars that way. That would mean $20.000.000.000 from taxpayers to pay for GM managers bonuses

Prius has sold 1.000.000 cars without these kinds of funding.

Why does not GM just close down and let the government pay the managers? Why bother producing cars?

Reply to
Mike hunt

He had better do some research of the EV1 if that is what he believes LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

Several years ago I was stranded in a major American city because of bad flying conditions. I had to take a 300 mile trip by Greyhound. If you think you will want to travel that way in the future I suggest you try it today. If ever need to do so, I well rent a car LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

When I travel around Europe I prefer to travel by train. I usually go at night. There are very comfortable kabins with good beds and shower. On board are restaurants and you can bring your car along for the ride. I really am fed up with airports and delays. Also much better to arrive in the morning at the destination refreshed. If I need more than one night I usually make a stopover in some nice city during the day and then take the next night train. The new trains are really comfortable and fast. Beats driving long distances.

Reply to
Gosi

--------------

This sounds very much like the used condom.

It got pissed off.

Reply to
Gosi

When I travel around Europe I prefer to travel by train. I usually go at night. There are very comfortable kabins with good beds and shower. On board are restaurants and you can bring your car along for the ride. I really am fed up with airports and delays. Also much better to arrive in the morning at the destination refreshed. If I need more than one night I usually make a stopover in some nice city during the day and then take the next night train. The new trains are really comfortable and fast. Beats driving long distances.

************

I enjoy the trains in Europe as well. They are in general smooth, fast, clackless and you can read or work, if you wish , as you travel.

Reply to
HLS

As I suggest, try taking the bus in the US and get back to us LOL

When I travel around Europe I prefer to travel by train. I usually go at night. There are very comfortable kabins with good beds and shower. On board are restaurants and you can bring your car along for the ride. I really am fed up with airports and delays. Also much better to arrive in the morning at the destination refreshed. If I need more than one night I usually make a stopover in some nice city during the day and then take the next night train. The new trains are really comfortable and fast. Beats driving long distances.

Reply to
Mike hunt

Last year I traveled 7000km in three weeks in the US california/grand canyon etc and it was pretty good. Air conditioned bus and very nice

Reply to
Gosi

I'm suggesting riding with the 'bus people,' not a tour bus, but perhaps you may be one of them, which would explain a lot. ;)