Volt $$

Taken from today's USA Today, an excerpt from an article on a small electric Mercedes:

"Even though Mercedes expects to be first with hybrids using lithium-ion batteries, General Motors aims to be first to field a showroom-ready pure electric vehicle using lithium. Its Chevrolet Volt two-seater is planned for late 2010 or 2011, priced about $35,000."

$35,000+ for a GM Volt, first year of production???? Who could actually afford this price? If that price is accurate then the Prius or Civic hybrids would be a *much* better buy .

Reply to
Jim Higgins

Hey Jim - there are actually people out there who earn more than minimum wage.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

To me $35K for a Volt is way too much. Why spend more $$ than you need to?

Reply to
Jim Higgins

The "global-warming-is-a-fact" and the "we-must-save-the-polar-bears" crowd will buy one.

Reply to
PerfectReign

It's too much to me also, but to those who really want it and don't mind paying, it's not too much. There are plenty of early adopters in the world who have the financial resources, and the desire, to buy into new things like this early on. They do so, and in part, they enable the prices to come down for the masses.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

By the time the Volt reaches the market, the price of ALL vehicles will be up because of the cost of meeting the new CAFE standards by 2012.

35K will not be out of line any more than the premium price of $5,000 to $8,000 today for hybrids, vis v conventionally power vehicles
Reply to
Mike hunt

Because it is "saving the environment". Just like the people who buy the other hybrids and pay MORE for them than the conventional model. They are not doing it for any reason other than attention. So if they want to use them as status symbols. Make them pay for it.

Reply to
Steve W.