How much slack in 4.3 timing chain?

I started working on my 1989 GMC Safari to repair a coolant leak from the water pump interface to the block. Saw that the original crankshaft oil seal was leaking a good bit so I removed the timing cover. On the tension side the chain is pretty tight, but on the nontension side, I can wiggle about 3/8" of slack. The teeth of the sprockets look pretty good but the van has 165K miles. Is there a tolerance on chain slack? My Haynes/Chilton doesn't call one out.

Thanks!

Barry

Reply to
Barry Minchey

Replace it, 1/4" or so is OK.

Reply to
Steve W.

If it has the link belt type chain and sprockets with the plastic on the links to make it quiet I think I would get a kit with new chain and sprockets. Those engines are really a 350 with the front two cylinders removed and it probably uses the timing set from one, which should make a set fairly reasonable in cost. And easy to change as you are looking at it.

Reply to
Scott

PS 3/8 inch isn't really all that loose.

Reply to
Scott