When to replace timing chain on 78 Regal?

I have a '78 Buick Regal with a 3.8l 231cc Buick V6. The Chilton's says to replace the timing chain at 120-150k. The car has 133k. I've been told not to worry, but I understand that if the thing breaks it can trash the engine. What would you folks advise? Does it give much in the way of warning signs before it goes? Also, would getting a new chain improve performance?

Reply to
wackeddout

Shep

Does it give much

Some " Muscle cars " would break chain at 50,000 miles or sooner A broken chain may / may not damage valves Check all valves after a failure. The V6 has fewer valves, less lift, so I could understand the rational in not bothering. If the engine runs good, doesn't gulp oil, new chain, sprockets, water and fuel pumps, all easy to get at, gotta come off anyway parts.

Reply to
451CTDS