hydramatic shop?

anyone know of any shops that can work on a dual range hydramatic(early

50's) transmission around dayton ohio?
Reply to
Max Power

Try posting on " Alt. Autos. antique

Reply to
Larry from N.J.

thanks

Reply to
petebert

There is a man from Napoleon, Ohio. His name is Tom Arps, his business is Tom's Turbo (on 424 west of Napoleon), he pulls two wheel drive truck. I think the transmission you are referring to is a powerglide. He used to build these for racing, he knows them in and out.

Reply to
Doug Adams

I'm new to these Hyramatics but I think the power glide is a 60's version? either way I'll look him up, thanks!

Reply to
Max Power

Powerglide was released in 1950 in a Chevrolet

Reply to
Kevin

Turboglide was about 1958. Hydro-matic was Olds (and I think Caddy) and Dynaflo was Buick.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hydra-Matic (this is the official GM spelling) made its first automatic transmission in 1939 for the Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs. The Hydra-Matics of the 50s~60 have nearly nothing in common with the Powerglide, Turboglide or the Dynaflow, other than all are automatic transmissions. Hydra-Matic more or less took over all automatic transmission production for GM in the 70s when the Powerglide was retired (first Chevy with a Hydra-Matic was the 1965 Impala SuperSport with the 396 engine {Turbo Hydra-Matic 400, the grandfather to the present 4L80E).

The Powerglide (50~72) and Turboglide (57~62) where Chevrolet designs and where also manufactured by Chevy (and used in some Pontiacs), and the Dynaflow was designed and built by Buick. You'll find some Dynaflows in Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles in, if memory serves, 1949 (the Hydra-Matic plant in Ypsilanti, where I worked when I was in college, had a huge fire that damn near destroyed the plant and GM used Dynaflows from Buick to keep car production going).

Rebuilding the old 50s dual-range Hydra-Matics is not for the faint of heart: they are VERY complex devices, very finiky and a lot of the parts are damn near impossible to get. Last time I did a full rebuild on one was in the early 70s and it was a royal pain in the posterior (63 Pontiac with the old Dual-Range box).

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Reply to
William H. Bowen

max power:

If you are still looking for a shop for your 1950"s hydro...... LOOK no further. Over 25yrs of smooth operation in the transmission industry. A track record that stifle's the the imangination of the naysayer.

Frank's Transmission is your shop!!!! We have lots of parts on hand for the old hydro's, power glides cast/ alu. All work done in house and warranted. Frank's transmission

149 Division St Coldwater Mi 49036 517 278 7882 snipped-for-privacy@verison.net
Reply to
frank