Just drove the Cobalt SS Supercharged and Monte Carlo SS (WAKE UP GM!!!!!)

It's easy to see why GM is in serious trouble. First the Cobalt.

This car, while a looker is a POS. Sure it's a rocket, although after test driving a Mustang GT and a V6 as well I think even the Mustang V6 will kill it on a real road with cornering.

The problem with the Cobalt SS is that while it has a lot of straight line power, the first curve you take leaves you hanging on for dear life. Who the heck designed the suspension? My old Cavalier RS can out corner the Cobalt SS, well maybe not but considering the price :)

On to the Monte Carlo SS....

Now this is a VERY NICE car...... However, I would not want to have to fix one :( Transverse V8, FWD, 4-6-8 Cylinder engine (anyone remember the Caddies they tried this on?)

Lot's of power, very smooth ride, but honestly BORING!! BTW who put the A/C controls behind the shift lever? REAL BAD.... Interior is a mess.

I suspect this one is going to blow half shafts like crazy....

Bottom line?

GM is in trouble because a trip to just about any GM lot looks like a trip to the typical Hertz "rent a car" lot.......... The cars are just plain boring, for the most part. The Cobalt and Monte SS are kinda exceptions, but even they suck when you look at the competition.

The Pontiac Solstice/Sky look like great cars, but now try and find one where the price isn't gouged.

Conclusions:::: I'm buying a Mustang.

Great looks. Old fashioned engineering (ie:parts are everywhere and cheap) No over-engineering. RWD (cheap to fix) And a decent price.

BTW my driver is a 96 Impala SS with 370,000 miles on it. Still runs fine and is all original.

GM better wake up......

Reply to
Winston

snip

The new GT's are some nice. The best looking car in he Big 3 lineups, IMHO. The Shelby is a show stopper.

Reply to
Bassplayer12

Yeah, I remember them, even worked on a couple of them. Comparing the new engine and it's methods of controlling variable displacement to the old Caddy engine doesn't make any sense. Worlds apart in technology.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Just for the record the Monte Carlo and Impala SS does not use a V-8 with

Reply to
ROY BRAGG

I couldn't detect the switch either but the car is a total bore IMHO. The last decent family sized monster car GM made was the 96 Impala SS.

The Monte is a total snooze... The inside is pure 1977 Buick Regal. Sure the motor has power but the rest of the car is ho-hum....

If GM wants to know why they are failing to capture the American buyer all they have to do is take a walk through one of their dealers lots and compare it to the competition. I agree with the other guy that a walk through the typical GM lot is like walking through Hertz at LAX.

BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Colors are boring. Cars are boring...

Chrysler? Innovative, somewhat ugly IMHO but certainly unique and different in their model lineup. People seem to love the retro look on the Charger etc....

Ford?

Mustang....

Need I say more? For 20k you can get a V6 Mustang that has a lot of power, is a head turner and is a really fun ride.... Gorgeous, vibrant colors and that retro look. It's also fairly simple, proved technology, has a ton of aftermarket parts available and is cheap to fix.

GM?

Like I said.,.... BORING.............

Reply to
lymee

Couldn't agree more although the cobalt does look fairly modern. But then the rest of it.. well... never mind. The Monte carlo is another car that is ugly as sin. I mean, where do they design these things ? A home for the blind ? Then there's the GTO, another failure. Also looks boring. Didn't sell.

The solstice and the sky are the only cars right now worth looking at. Downside is the engines, they're just not great. Need to be smoother, higher revving engines. IT's not that hard, it seems GM has given up on cars. A bad decision.

Reply to
RT

The Cobalt is actually a pretty nice car which reminds me a lot of the Dodge OMI GLH (Goes Like Hell) from the 1980's. At the time Dodge was trying to make a pocket rocket like the then new VW GTI (83/84) and while the Dodge did beat out the GTI it was almost scary to drive. No sophistication at all, where the GTI was more of a poor man's Porsche with nice German engineering and lot's of smooth power.

Take the GTI on a nice winding back road and it was a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

The Dodge was hanging on for dear life, but had more straight line power. It was just very crude.

Where the GTI had upgraded suspension, steering etc the Dodge was essentially the same stock omni with bigger tires and a turbocharged motor.

I know this because I had a GTI and my friend had the Omni GLH.

The Cobalt is kind of like that. Tons of power, but the chassis leaves a little to be desired despite what the brochures say about it.

The interior is pretty nice though IMHO.

I often wonder. I agree with the other guy who said it looked like the 80's notch back cars like the Regal, Gran Prix etc only with the corners rounded. I picture the designers taking the clay model of the 81 Monte Carlo and sanding all the corners round and stretching it a little bit. Instant 2006 Monte Carlo! Although that wasn't enough, they had to screw it totally by making it FWD.

WAYYYY overpriced. I saw a couple at a local dealer and they were in the mid-high $30's.... Are they crazy????

The car looks like every other car on the road.

For that price there are much better cars.

Solstice and Sky look like real fun cars. Where I live neither can be found on the lots.

I saw a Solstice (with a nice blonde babe driving) go up against a 2005+ Mustang GT on the expressway the other night..... It was just for about 1/2 a mile, and the Mustang won, but not by that much. Might have been the drivers.

Both cars are great lookers!

Reply to
Carlton

I am pretty sure it was. The Mustang GT will blow the Solstice away. The Solstice looks fast (and the sky looks even faster) but it's not. They really need to give these cars some better engines.

I agree. Very unlike GM !

Reply to
RT