mystery vacuum elbow

hi,

while changing the plugs and wires on my 97 bon'eville, i noticed a vac elbow on the bottom of what i believe is the fuel pressure regulator on the "back" of the motor. it had no vac line going to it. i looked around but didnt see any dislodged lines so if i pulled/knocked one off, it is lost.

any idea what

Reply to
peter

There is a line going to that fitting. It will be shown on the vacuum routing sticker attached to the hood or the radiator support. DON'T drive it with that disconnected.

Reply to
Steve W.

On both my cars the rubber elbow is connected to hard plastic tube which shouldn't disappear if it came off the elbow.

Isn't the fuel pressure reg on the fuel rail infront of the engine? by the vavle cover closest to the rafiator.

harryface

91 Bonneville 318,565 05 Park Avenue 84,789
Reply to
Harry Face

one further clarification, the car is a SSEi.

there are 3 vac elbows on this evap switch: first one comes from the evap canister purge valve, second one goes to the canister, third one, on the bottom, is the mystery vacuum elbow.

the mystery vacuum elbow is not shown on the emissions/vacuum diagram on radiator support.

the only other hard vac line in the area goes from just below the super charger to the map sensor(s). it appears to be intact by finger tracing it.

yes, this is correct. the item of concern is the evap switch.

any clue as to where the third vac line goes? i could back trace and find the lose vac line this way.

thanks for your time,

peter

Reply to
peter

i did want to start the car to check the plugs, wires, fuel filter and to circulate the new oil but was concerned and did not...thanks for reinforcing my thinking on this.

oddly enough, the diagram does not show this vac elbow. see my response to harry face's post for more details.

thanks, peter

Reply to
peter

i found a picture of the part in question at compnine.com and put it into the tinyurl below...it is #19m(SWITCH KIT,EVAP EMIS CNSTR PURGE )

a closeup is here:
inthe picture, the vacuum port in question is pointing up, when installed this is pointing down. the diagram from tinyurl doesnt show a line going to this port but there is indeed an elbow and appling pressureand suction to the port does activate something like a check valve it sounds like.

should i be concerned about this? i cant find any line for the elbow which is on the port.

nobody else has this on their '97 SSEi?

seems odd....

tia, peter

Reply to
peter

I wonder if it is a vent instead of a vacuum port??

Reply to
Dave

I suspect this is not a fitting made for a hose, but a 'vent' to atmosphere. Note that it is not barbed, and is relatively short.

Reply to
PeterD