OT: My GM rant

Something is seriously wrong at GM. They're the only car company out that still insists on using 4 speed autos (well, they do have a 5 speed but its for 3 Cadillacs and 1 for Saturn), Ford is using 5 and 6 speed autos and CVTs on Fords..not just certain a brand in the company. They have no cars that I see myself in besides the CTS, SRX and the Corvette (the CTS was decided against in favor of the Mustang).

Don't get me wrong, we've had GMs here for as long as I can remember (which isn't that long but nonetheless). 1987 Caprice and 2 Silverados. 1991 Blazer. 1992 Lumina, Silverado and Caprice. 1993 Grand Prix and Camaro. 1997 Silverado. 1999 Blazer and Camaro. 2001 LeSabre. 2004 Sierra. (also throw in the 2001 Dodge Stratus and the 2005 Mustang and the 1988 Bronco). From the

1987 Silverado, the new Sierra has the same transmission, just updated. From the 92 Lumina to the 01 LeSabre, same transmission again just updated a bit.

I want to see GM succeed, but they really have to step up the base here. The Mustang can get a 5 speed auto, the cheapest GM that can is the Cadillac CTS. Something is also wrong when a cheap car from Ford has bounceback windows but a not so cheap truck from GMC doesn't (which are a nice thing to have when you have people that like to roll up the windows when your fingers are sticking out). The Sierra has no light in the glovebox, as I found 2 years ago going up for deer hunting when I had to find something in it, in a cheaper vehicle that would have been fine, not when you're paying close to

40k for it.

The Sierra has a recall for the tailgate cables. How long have they been making those? How do they manage to screw that up now? The LeSabre needed the windshield wiper motors replaced, the light switch replaced (it got stuck in place, you could not turn the lights off). The 91 Blazer had to be lemon lawwed. It would just die on the highway. They replaced the engine and transmission 4 times each. The 92 Caprice had a major ABS problem that they fixed and it came back. The 99 Blazers door fell off the other day, literally. The bushings rusted through on the driver side door and the pin fell out. The 01 Stratus had an electrical problem where the lights and dash would die. The only problem that I have with the Mustang is that when I'm putting gas in it the pump'll shut off a couple times.

Really, I see no incentive to keep buying GM products right now. I'm a car guy, I go for whatever is best for me at the moment. What really irks me though is that GM has the brainpower to catch up and pass up the other guys. But they CHOOSE not to. One part disagrees with the other and someone has to make a decision. Would it really hurt them to spend maybe a couple hundred dollars more on a car to get them up to the quality expectations of the public? It may cost a little bit more to build the car, but GM would lose less money because they wouldn't have the incentives on them or as much of an incentive. Would it really hurt to brag about how much they've gone up in reliability and say that they're still working to get up to the top? Would it really hurt to use newer technology (they're getting somewhat better with this right now)? Would it really hurt to give people what they want?

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Indeed, GM does seem hell bent on using retro-technology for it's mainstream vehicles while the competition is generally going much more high tech.

A V-6 Honda Accord comes with an overhead cam variable valve timing masterpiece mated to a 5 speed automatic. GM's competitors in that segment are old pushrod designs (3.4/3.5/3.8 l) mated to at best 4 speed automatics.

The Honda is available with one of the best in-car navigation systems arounds, but at GM you can not get such a system is any Chevrolet, Saturn, Pontiac or Buick (at least you couldn't in '03 when I shopped them all before reluctantly buying Japanese).

I do not understand why the largest car company in the world (at least at the moment) insists on staying behind the times technology wise. Sure you can get the latest stuff on $50,000 Cadillacs, but why not on under $30,000 vehicles when smaller companies like Honda can do it?

John

Reply to
John Horner

I think they tried to get cheap by using galvanized steel instead of stainless steel, but discovered too late that it was an inferior material to use. Hence had to replace them all anyways and cost them even MORE money than if they had done it right the first time.

Reply to
Paradox

I wonder how often cost-cutting turns out to be counter-productive in the long run.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Sounds like you guys need to get away from alt.autos.gm and migrate over to

alt.autos.hondas.toyotas.suck

You would be happier. Good luck with your asian crap.

Reply to
;-p

I don't understand it either, but maybe one day they're going to wake up and see what they're doing. It's not their world anymore, they don't set the rules.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

I see enough Toyotas and Hondas breaking down and spewing blue smoke here :P. Just the other week my neighbors Camry just up and died on them and my other neighbor has a Camry that she's been trying to get a problem fixed but the dealer is acting like they don't have to do anything.

I'd never buy an asian car unless it's tons better then the domestic stuff.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

My point exactly. Some of these people don't seem to get it, do they. If it goes round and round, it's gonna break down. I followed a BMW down the road the other day burning oil like crazy. It layed down a smoke screen at every red light. Funny, if TOYotas and Hondas and Acuras etc never broke, why do they have service departments at those dealerships? Must be for oil changes and wiper blades ;-p

Reply to
;-p

The bean counters run the corporation. They probably saved $1.00 per vehicle on that tailgate cable, until they failed, then spent $20.00 replacing them.

Here's an internal example.... I recently retired after 40 years, 35 as an electrician in one of their plants. We used 100's of small proximity switches on the machines and material handling systems in the plant. The purchasing department discovered that they could buy untested switches at a "savings" of $20.00 per switch, so they did. How much did they save when 20% of the switches were bad right out of the box and had to be replaced at a cost of 20 minutes additional downtime? How much money was "saved" when we were told not to do a repair properly, just get the system to run until the end of the shift? If it failed again on the next shift, that's their problem, not ours. All that cash could have been used to design and build better vehicles, but it was thrown down the drain.

David Starr

Yet, that GM 3.8 gets better mileage and HP for its weight than anything but the very newest Lexus engines. 240hp with a supercharger and still 26-27mpg, all the while gulping down gas to get a nearly two ton boat down the road... It may be old, but it works well.

(the Camry V6 is very simmilar as well, btw - excellent low-tech design)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

GM puts their engineering energies on gimmicky things, like their speed activated radio volume system (radio gets louder the faster the car goes, softer as the vehicle slows down). That feature IS more important than anything, don't you know?! ;-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

When the Lexus LS was first introduced I bough one, it had that feature. ;)

mike hunt

"James C. Reeves" wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

And the purchasing genius who came up with that plan probably got a raise as well!

John

Reply to
John Horner

I donno my '87 300Z Turbo seems to be working pretty well (knock on wood)

Any car if you don't take care of it will fall apart.

Reply to
Paradox

I think thats the funniest thing ever, thats basically saying "hey we don't insulate our cars for shit, thus we have lots of road noise and design an overly complicated radio system to compensate"

Reply to
Paradox

think of how much power/gas mileage the 3800 would get if it was mated to a

5 speed auto or one of those new Variable Ratio Transmissions.... hmmm.
Reply to
Paradox

That's pretty much it too. After awhile too you don't really notice it getting louder then when you slow down the radio is like completely quiet so it's kind of a weird feeling.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

That is one way to look at it, I suppose.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

"overly complicated"?? Only if you're mentally challenged. I set mine the day I bought my truck in 1999, and haven't had to touch it since. Works very well. And, unlike the lights, if you don't like it, you don't have to use it. H

Reply to
Hairy